Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'02 alero,75k miles,stalled after trac off light went off & still stalled??

simit
09-25-2006, 09:03 AM
Got oil change in morning from a very decent place. was driving on I-69S doing 75. Track off light came on, car started to get little jumpy,i freaked out,it wont keep running @ same speed even though i pressed gas all the way,it became slower & slower,pushed gas but no change in speed, became real jumpy like i had hydrolics in my car, i pulled on the side and while doing so it turned off by itself. wont turn on since then,but it was tryin to make an attempt. I got pushed till gas station. Filled up my entire gas tank and then got jumped thinkin the battery might have died but the car did not get recharged.Somehow just lost all the battery power & I have no clue wat went wrong people.....I got it towed to my apt, still lying dead. i wanna know wats wrong with the damn car before the shop guys gives me their analysis on wat might be wrong. I hated this car always since day 31 but trusted it 4 giving me no problem besides new brake pads & roters and other regular stuff.
FYI: the oil change guy also suggested i get a new serpentine belt as it was old but i asked him will it stall my car if it breaks and he said NO but now its dead...i would appreciate ne help i can get frm you mechanics or car worms....thks

JTrujillo86
09-25-2006, 10:38 AM
Did you open the hood to see if the serpentine belt is broken? When you're looking at the engine, the serpentine belt runs on the left side of the engine. You'll notice if its broken or missing. If the belt breaks the first thing you will notice is a loss of power steering. The generator light would also come on on the instrument panel because a broken serpentine belt would not allow the battery to charge.

Other than checking to see if the belt itself if broken, see what kind of power you're getting in the car, like do the interior lights come on when you open the door...is power getting to the radio when you turn the key to the 'ON' position without starting (or tying to start in this case) the car.

Honestly, it doesn't sound like a broken serpentine belt, but I guess its a start.

- Jeremy

simit
09-25-2006, 01:50 PM
jeremy thks a bunch first of all cauz i just feel litt relieved hearing the symtoms you have mentioned. Yes my power steering is hard as hell, if by generator light u mean trac off light then Yes that came on too. The inside radio clock did stay on till around 30 min after stalling but after that as I was sayin ....eveythin just died, car had absolutely no juice left.
I am going to check the serpentine belt ASAP and will let you know. I really hope thats the only thing thats wrong as it sounded affordable to fix ($60 incl evrythin). I m just so nervous bout this damn car as i was just chking the forum related to ALERO's and i just cant believe there are so many things that are on my way but hopefully i m gonna get rid of this CAR !!! :)
Thks again & will keep u posted.
- Jeremy[/QUOTE]

JTrujillo86
09-26-2006, 11:18 PM
By generator light I mean the little red battery. I should have said battery light.

Let me know what you find.

- Jeremy

Add your comment to this topic!