Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

It went from cylinder 3 to random misfire

echoes85
09-24-2006, 03:06 AM
I had changed the defective coil pack and it ran fine for 15 min. when i went to turn it back on 2hours later the engine sounded worse than before.

I think I bought a bad coil pack and it messed up my engine.

It felt worse and then half way on my way home from a party at a light it started to smell like coolant, and 2min. later it smelled like burnt coolant or coolant with burning metal.

I am at a loss for words, I am back at square 1.

xeroinfiniti please help now I don't know what went wrong, I did everything correct and plugged everything correctly, but it just keeps getting worse.:banghead:

xeroinfinity
09-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Only thing would be to double check the coils form the procedure on the other post.
Triple check all of your plugs that thiers no bent prongs and that the wires are not broken.

Your plugs and boots are new(r) ?

Next would be to rent(or buy) a noid tester to test the injectors. Sounds like u might hav some crap in your fuel lines :dunno:
Injector wires hav been known to break and cause allll sorts of problems, might be another thing to check.

echoes85
09-24-2006, 04:07 PM
It turns out that the new coil pack I bought blew out my other coil pack.

I am going to get both coil packs from a parts dealership, this way I don't have to deal with these inconviniences.

I am also going to get some new boots, because one of them the spring had come loose and it didn't look like it was in that good of condition.

rhandwor
09-24-2006, 04:14 PM
What brand of coil did you purchase the first time I have had a lot of problems with cheap after market parts.

xeroinfinity
09-24-2006, 05:31 PM
Also dont rule out the ignition mod ,
it could be going bad.

echoes85
09-24-2006, 09:07 PM
I have an extra ignition module I am going to replace that as well and hopefully I can get that checked somewhere because I heard they're expensive.

rhandwor
09-25-2006, 08:13 AM
Advance auto used to check modules free.

xeroinfinity
09-25-2006, 08:29 AM
With a multimeter & a test light you can test the ignition control Mod.
[ - - + ]

With the catch clip down(as before) check for battery power at the positive terminal of the ignition mod coil connector.

Also using the test light to check for signal trigger.
Connect the positive to the battery + then test each negative(s) with someone turning over the motor. It should flash as its turned over.

Advance or autozone may be able to test it too.

Hope this helps!

echoes85
09-25-2006, 02:54 PM
I got the spare parts at O'reilly.

I think i'll go to Advance Parts tom. when my spare parts from back home will arrive and check both modules.

Hopefully nothing else goes wrong with the parts.

xeroinfinity
09-25-2006, 04:26 PM
Good Luck echoes85 !

rhandwor
09-26-2006, 08:57 AM
The coils should primary resistance 0.3 to 0.7 ohms Primary across the plugs at bottom
Secondary 5,000 to 6500 ohms across towers of each coil pack

xeroinfinity
09-26-2006, 09:12 AM
The coils should primary resistance 0.3 to 0.7 ohms Primary across the plugs at bottom
Secondary 5,000 to 6500 ohms across towers of each coil pack

We had already discussed that in another post.

Add your comment to this topic!