Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 CRV intermittently running rough and check engine light coming on.coming on

mechhound
09-24-2006, 12:34 AM
First let me say I went through all 10 pages of threads on the CRV forum and read all the threads where the title suggested it may pertain to my problem. 2000 CRV has 121,000 miles. The timing belt was changed at about 110,000 miles, long before this problem began. I live in a rural area, over 150 miles from the nearest Honda car dealer, so I took it to an independent repair shop. They admit they don't really have the equipment to diagnose foreign brand vehicles. They did have the wires to hook it to their scanner. Here is what they wrote on the recipt: DTC P1399 undocumented code Ign. system or misfire. They installed new double platinum spark plugs and a new fuel filter and cleared the codes. It ran good yesterday after they worked on it and the CE light stayed off, then today about 1/2 mile from home(just leaving) it stalled and started right back up. Then almost immediately the check engine light came on and it started running really rough. A Honda dealer was called, they claim their scanner will show the exact problem right off. I have a few questions. 1.Will the Honda dealer's scanner really show the exact problem right off? 2. Will it hurt to drive the CRV 150 miles with the check engine light on providing it isn't missing too bad? 3. The independent mechanic said not to put fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank as it would harm the catalytic(sp?) converter, is this true? Answers to these questions and any other comments appreciated.

jgr7
09-24-2006, 03:08 PM
Have you had the valves checked for adjustment? Misfires on these cars sometimes is related to valve adjustment or burnt valves. Could also be a bad plug wire or maybe the coil is starting to fail. Is the problem worse when you first start the car and then get better as it warms up? This some times points to bad valve adjustment of the exhaust valves. I would install new plug wires you can find someplace on line that you can buy Honda wires with out having to go to the dealer. See how it runs with the new wires, then have the valves adjusted at your independent mechanic. You shouldn't need fuel injector cleaner if you use good gas as most name brands put some in there fuel. If you have to put injector cleaner in only do it at the gas station and only use the right amount for the amount of fuel your tank holds. Put the cleaner in at the gas station and then fill it up. These cleaners are a solvent that will eat up the wires in your fuel pump and fuel injectors if used in to strong of a concentration. The fuel pump and injectors rely on the fuel to cool them and the solvent will eat up the wires if it is to strong.
Jeff

mechhound
09-24-2006, 06:05 PM
Thanks Jeff for the reply. I will be taking it back to the independent mechanic shop tomorrow and will tell them what you said. I can't seem to find the valve clearance specifications in the owners manual, can you(or anyone else) tell me the valve clearance specifications or point me to a site where I can get them for a 2000 Honda CRV? I could call the Honda dealer, but all they wan't to tell me is bring it over here. Thanks.

jgr7
09-24-2006, 06:14 PM
I'm not sure about what the valves should be set at. I had mine done at the dealer. Maybe one of the other members here will have the clearance for you. If you haven't changed the plug wires make sure you do that too.
Jeff

tareq75
12-21-2006, 08:44 AM
I had a problem in my car "Opel" regarding Fuel Injector cleaner, and i was told that it applies to all injection systems...
I put a fuel injector cleaner "FIC" of a reliable brand in my tank, filled it to top, and speeded into 80mph for 30 min... the result was not as good as i wanted and the car ended up being pulled to the garage!
i had to change many parts in the injection system as they were clogged with black smudge that didnt come off with regular solvents... the mech told me later that the FIC really cleans smudge OFF the fuel tank, take it "dissolved" into fuel filter "as petrol mixed with dissolved debris" as the filter gets clogged, the mixture is passed right into the injectors,, speeding up causes engine to heat up, and the fuel starts to leave the debris in the burning chamber and around the valve outlets, making fuel mixture face more pressure as it enters the combustion chamber, this make the engine rpm require more gas -to reach certain values- than it used to,, and eventually check engine light comes on!! the bes thing to do with FIC is to apply it diluted in a full tank just after cleaning or replacing the fuel filter and cleaning the valves, otherwise it will only take all the rubbish in tank, and pour em into the suffering engine!!

Hope this peace of info is helpful..
Good luck

Add your comment to this topic!