Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Water Logging...

david-b
09-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Hey all;
The other day I bought my boys CAI off that MX6 that got smashed. I took the piping and turned my short ram into a full CAI. It rained the last 2 days. I also drove out 40 miles and back to this training thing I had for work this morning. Anywhos, I was coming home flying at around 80 or so, and out of nowhere there's a huge puddle in the expressway. I was like whoa, but it was too late. I ran right through it. The engine bogged down and sounded like it was going to die for when it was in the water. After I got out, it fine. I took it a little slower for a while, but then picked it back up. Car ran perfect then. Was on the tollroad for about 6 miles or so so the engine was warmed up already.

Could this cause any damage? Also, it something like that does happen again, what should I do? Like stay off the throttle, or lay on it?

Turbodog97
09-23-2006, 07:28 PM
You might want to change your oil and pull your plugs.

l_eclipse_l
09-23-2006, 10:35 PM
I would say that going that fast, most of the water didn't have time to get sucked up. You should be fine. Next time, just lay off the throttle when you go over the puddle. I've gone through some pretty nice puddles with my CAI, and have yet to suck up any major water.

I second the oil change, plugs I would just pull and make sure they are good but probably not replace unless something was wrong with them.

ned032002
09-24-2006, 12:38 AM
Is there any way that someone can fabricate some kind of, idk drain so that in this situation if water gets sucked up, it falls into a small pit that just self drains once it gets so full. Is this idea retarded or what.

l_eclipse_l
09-24-2006, 12:45 AM
Is there any way that someone can fabricate some kind of, idk drain so that in this situation if water gets sucked up, it falls into a small pit that just self drains once it gets so full. Is this idea retarded or what.

It's called a bypass valve...lol

They are a PITA to install from what I hear, and reduce what little performance gain you get.

david-b
09-24-2006, 09:48 AM
On my short ram, there's a little bung on it that had a pipe going to the stock exhaust DP. Since the DP don't have a piece on it, I just put a medium sized filter on it. It sits right above the EGR valve. I figure if some water is going on up intake pipe, some might fall into there. However, if you've ever felt the suction coming from the engine, it might not neither. I'll pull the plugs later today.

I ran the car all last night and it ran like a champ. No performance drop or anything. I have to change my oil sometime really soon anyways so that's ok. That puddle came out of nowhere, I swear...

ned032002
09-24-2006, 02:16 PM
It's called a bypass valve...lol

Listen you...

Yeah I figured that someone would have created one of these, then I know that I had a good idea.:)

crunchymilk55
09-24-2006, 04:23 PM
1. ditch the CAI, not worth the risk

2. pull your plugs, are they wet? Replace them anyway and like someone said earlier change the oil if you can. You didn't hydrolock this time ;) , but why would you risk it for 2hp and a sound.

david-b
09-24-2006, 09:20 PM
I pulled the plugs today, and they were in perfect shape. No damage or anything. Actually, being 2 years old, they're in awesome shape. I cleaned off the contacts on the ends (all burnt up, apparently boot wasnt sitting fully flush on them) and the car actually idles better now. I will change my oil on Tuesday night.

The car really likes the CAI. I'm thinking of cutting the pipe and making it shorter. I mean right now its sitting right on the splash shield. Ill post a pic later. I'm jsut going to cut it shorter so its still low, but not that low.

david-b
09-24-2006, 09:27 PM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/truloveat18/Daves%20Pics/DSCF0021Custom.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/truloveat18/Daves%20Pics/DSCF0018Custom.jpg

Really Low
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/truloveat18/Daves%20Pics/DSCF0028Custom.jpg

l_eclipse_l
09-25-2006, 09:44 AM
Mine is about that low but I can't even see the filter, it's down by the horn.

david-b
09-25-2006, 02:10 PM
The horn is on the passenger side. At least mine is. Yeah, when I cut the pipe, I'm going to bring it up higher and angle it toward the front, so that the air flowing in through the grill can still get to it, since I have no foglights or foglight spacers. I'll probably do that tonight.

l_eclipse_l
09-25-2006, 04:14 PM
I'm almost positive it was the horn on the driver's side that I had to move to fit the filter...maybe they switched it from the 2ga to the 2gb? Oh well, IDK and it dosn't matter.

david-b
09-25-2006, 08:42 PM
Yeah... right?!?! Who cares. See, we don't need to fight over that like other people would. haha. On mine, the horn is on the passenger side in the bumper mounted to the bracket that the fog light attaches to. I took out the brackets (weight reduction and better flow) so I had to relocate the horn a little farther into the bay.

Add your comment to this topic!