Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mobil 1

drdd
09-23-2006, 11:51 AM
Anything wrong with putting 5w30 Mobil 1 Full synthetic in my 2000 Avalon ?

Toysrme
09-23-2006, 01:53 PM
You should be using it anyway. No oil is going to last as long, or give better wear rates over time.

drdd
09-23-2006, 06:19 PM
Yeah, just checking. I use it in my Blazer and love it.

I'm putting it in the Avalon at 88000 mi. Hopefully the synth will keep the sludge gremlins away.

You should be using it anyway. No oil is going to last as long, or give better wear rates over time.

Brian R.
09-23-2006, 11:46 PM
You can use 5W-20 if you like to help your gas mileage.

RIP
09-25-2006, 12:02 AM
Brian R. - Have you had any experience with putting synthetic in older cars? I've heard this can creat leaks. That's the main reason I haven't used it in my 87 and 94. Also, I haven't had any luck finding 0W -20 synthetic oil. Should I be able to find it somewhere or will I have to buy it from Toyota. Just bought an 06 RAV4. I'll need it in a few months. What do you think of AMSOIL?

drdd - I apologize for the highjack.

Brian R.
09-25-2006, 05:45 AM
Brian R. - Have you had any experience with putting synthetic in older cars? I've heard this can creat leaks. That's the main reason I haven't used it in my 87 and 94. Also, I haven't had any luck finding 0W -20 synthetic oil. Should I be able to find it somewhere or will I have to buy it from Toyota. Just bought an 06 RAV4. I'll need it in a few months. What do you think of AMSOIL?

I have heard that using a synthetic in older cars meets with varying degrees of success.

If the engine is clean (well-maintained), then probably it is going to be easy to switch since there is little or no build-up of sludge to keep things from leaking and little or no clean-up that the synthetic can do to cause leaks.

If the engine has been neglected, then I would not switch to synthetic, because then you run the risk of causing serious leaks in the main seals, valve seals, and other areas.

I don't remember if I have seen 0W-20 Mobil 1 in parts stores or not. I have bought alot of 5W-20 Mobil 1 and Mobil synthetic ATF for my own use, but I don't remember about that weight. I believe I've seen it in PepBoys, but I'm not sure.

As far as AMSOIL goes, I have heard alot of good things about it, but there are some AMSOIL lubricants that are unsuitable for cars with cat. converters because of their high phosphorous content. Read the discussion about motor oils in the Camry FAQ thread.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3196910&postcount=9

RPFINGSTEN
09-27-2006, 06:28 AM

drdd - I apologize for the highjack.

I agree with the previous post..Synthetic Oil can create leaks in engines that have not been maintained... having said that I used Mobil 1 Synthetic in a 1992 Olds 3.8L engine and never experienced any leaks to speak of.. as for Amsoil.. I have heard alot of good things about it, same thing for Royal Purple, another excellent Synthetic.. But I'm old school, I"ve been using Mobil 1 Synthetic for years now and I have no intentions of changing...I know it's good stuff, where as I've only "heard" the others are good. Not only that I change oil every 5K anyway, so I know my engine is getting peak protection using Mobil 1 ( even if it does cost me alittle more to change every 5K ) By the way, a Mobil 1 rep told me personally that even though you may be using a synthetic oil, if your vehicle is still under warranty, continue to change your oil at the vehicle manufacturers recommended interval... This way there is no chance of compromising your vehicles warranty.

Roland

Brian R.
09-29-2006, 12:33 PM
Also, I don't believe AMSOIL is enough better than Mobil1 to justify the additional cost.

Add your comment to this topic!