Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Alcald II finishing questions

Gamerxz
09-23-2006, 07:04 AM
Hi... just wondering if anyone has pictures of parts/body of a model kit with alcald chrome used on it.. and also any other ways of making it shine even more..
Thanks a million !

freakray
09-23-2006, 09:51 AM
Look up my thread for the finished '67 Chevy Malibu, all the chrome on the bumpers and grille was Alclad.

Lightly buffing it will make it shine more.

Vric
09-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Rims on that one:
http://models.magietec.com/gallery/g2data/albums/Race/GT3RS/gt3_5.jpg

All chrome on that one have been repainted with Alclad. (they always put pin hole or sprue holder in bad position..) Only the Windows frame are Bare Metal Foil.
http://models.magietec.com/gallery/g2data/albums/Street/mini12/tmini1.jpg

As for how to make it shine, there is no trick. You just have to apply it correctly on a perfectly smooth black surface. See this Flash Tutorial (http://www.scalewiki.com/wiki/tutorial/basicairbrushing.html)that explain perfectly how you should work with your airbrush.

klutz_100
09-24-2006, 01:06 AM
Well, you should also know that IMO it is the base that sort of gives the shine rather than the paint itself.

When Alclad say light coats they MEAN light coats!! This paint does NOT need requre wet coats - in fact, if you apply a wet coat in all probability you will get an effect exactly the opposite of what you were hoping for :D

My 2cents.

Gamerxz
09-24-2006, 07:13 AM
Thanks u guys...! The info will really help.. as its like stepping to the next level of modelling :wink:

wilo
09-28-2006, 04:53 AM
Well, you should also know that IMO it is the base that sort of gives the shine rather than the paint itself.

When Alclad say light coats they MEAN light coats!! This paint does NOT need requre wet coats - in fact, if you apply a wet coat in all probability you will get an effect exactly the opposite of what you were hoping for :D

My 2cents.
i lerned this the hard way i put a few wet coats on and the paint ended up cracking all over the place a few days later :-( :banghead:

cyberkid
09-28-2006, 08:37 AM

My 2cents.
How many light coats you guys use? Or just keep going until the part is completely covered?

As for how to make it shine, there is no trick. You just have to apply it correctly on a perfectly smooth black surface.

When you say perfectly smooth... would a gloss base/ semi-gloss base make a difference? would compounding the part help? (If so, what is a good way to clean off the compound without harming the paint?)

klutz_100
09-28-2006, 08:46 AM
I put on 3-4 coats usually - depends on how hung-over I am ;)

Micromeshing the gloss black base should be fine although I would be reticent about using compounds before applying A2 (might be fine but on the other hand maybe worth testing first)

ZoomZoomMX-5
09-28-2006, 09:51 AM
How many light coats you guys use? Or just keep going until the part is completely covered?

When you say perfectly smooth... would a gloss base/ semi-gloss base make a difference? would compounding the part help? (If so, what is a good way to clean off the compound without harming the paint?)

Definitely go for gloss black, you want the shiniest, most reflective black possible for Alclad II chrome. While Tamiya TS black is great, Alclad II doesn't stick to it well. Go with enamel black, Testors or Humbrol, for the best adhesion.

You mist the Alclad until the black is covered. At first it's very reflective, but the black still shows through. As you spray it, it fogs a bit, then instantly clears up. I mist it on in tiny amounts, so I go with more than two "coats". You have to see how your setup sprays the Alclad to determine just how much is right, so that there is no black showing and the part looks like polished metal.

Once you get the Alclad II in place, after it's dried about 10 minutes you can take a soft, clean cloth across it to lightly buff the surface, it removes the fine overspray and glosses up the bumpers.

This model used Spaz Stix Chrome, very similar product to Alclad II, but it does stick well to Tamiya TS gloss black. Found it in the RC dept. of a Hobbytown USA. Google it to find other dealers.

http://images17.fotki.com/v4/photos/1/10258/3997562/5-vi.jpg

It's on the front/rear bumpers. The front bumper came out better, as the black was glossier. You want the gloss black to be as perfect as possible. Micromesh/non-silicone compound (Tamiya fine) help, just as if you are polishing black finished paint for the body. The chrome will only be as good as the black surface underneath. If you shoot semigloss black, your "chrome" will look satin. The best this stuff looks is like polished aluminum, not chrome. But when you do it right, it looks great. Takes practice too, just like any fine paint job :)

winstona
09-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Definitely go for gloss black, you want the shiniest, most reflective black possible for Alclad II chrome. While Tamiya TS black is great, Alclad II doesn't stick to it well. Go with enamel black, Testors or Humbrol, for the best adhesion.

You mist the Alclad until the black is covered. At first it's very reflective, but the black still shows through. As you spray it, it fogs a bit, then instantly clears up. I mist it on in tiny amounts, so I go with more than two "coats". You have to see how your setup sprays the Alclad to determine just how much is right, so that there is no black showing and the part looks like polished metal.

Once you get the Alclad II in place, after it's dried about 10 minutes you can take a soft, clean cloth across it to lightly buff the surface, it removes the fine overspray and glosses up the bumpers.

This model used Spaz Stix Chrome, very similar product to Alclad II, but it does stick well to Tamiya TS gloss black. Found it in the RC dept. of a Hobbytown USA. Google it to find other dealers.

http://images17.fotki.com/v4/photos/1/10258/3997562/5-vi.jpg

It's on the front/rear bumpers. The front bumper came out better, as the black was glossier. You want the gloss black to be as perfect as possible. Micromesh/non-silicone compound (Tamiya fine) help, just as if you are polishing black finished paint for the body. The chrome will only be as good as the black surface underneath. If you shoot semigloss black, your "chrome" will look satin. The best this stuff looks is like polished aluminum, not chrome. But when you do it right, it looks great. Takes practice too, just like any fine paint job :)

Wow this is FAQ material ZoomZoomMX-5. I will try it in my next build. Thanks for the write up!

Winston

Add your comment to this topic!