Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Serious Opinions On Jeeps!

Donkey1984
09-22-2006, 11:22 PM
I have been thinking about purchasing a Jeep TJ for quite some time now. I live in canada where in winter it can get down to -30-40 degrees celsius. Other then the snow, are the good for cold? stay warm? Is it worth getting a 2.5l or go with the 4.0l? Any info on these little toys would be nice!!!!

Thanks for your time!

seb001
09-24-2006, 07:26 PM
All Canadian TJ have a block heater (standard OEM)
I never had a problem starting in the winter (-30C). I always plug it in when it gets below -10C. That way it warms up very quickly.

Heater output is more than sufficient.

I have a 4.0. Plenty of power. I you are planning a lot of highway, then I suggest the 4L. City driving, the 2.5L will do.

Ray H
09-25-2006, 09:07 PM
X2 what seb001 said.
The heater will run you out on the newer Jeeps. Even if you want a soft top, I would suggest getting the full door option though. They are much more convenient and easier to deal with in snowy and icy conditions. Dont take that for much more than my personal opinion though, I know people that love the half doors, Im just not one of them.
The only advantage to the 4 cyl is the initial purchase price. It wont save you much in the way of gas, at least not enough to worry about. As far as abilities of the 6 cyl verses the 4 cyl, the only times the 4 cyl will be lacking is on the highway or towing or if you plan to build it up and put big heavy tires on it.

4x4grey88
09-25-2006, 10:28 PM
I would purchase the 4.0L over the 2.5L because you would find that the 4.0L has more power and has about the same MPG averages. Most (both Liters) Jeeps seem to have a high engine temp anyways (normal readings about 200-210 F, sorry I don't know the conversion to metric).

You only need to add new toys that you are planning to use i.e. lifts, etc.

I would also recommend that you purchase your Jeep with a HARD TOP installed, as you can always remove it in the summer (or use the A/C better).

Happy Jeepin

Add your comment to this topic!