Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 LeSabre Air Conditioning Problem

tlaman
09-22-2006, 01:13 PM
My 2002 Buick LeSabre does not output cool air. I have checked the charge and it is in the "Filled" range (32psi) on the guage I attached to the low pressure side. When the engine was off, it measured about 70psi. With the air conditioning on, the low pressure side pipe temperature is at 52F (outside air is 67F). That pipe is cold going into the firewall toward the dash.

Any ideas as to were the problem might be?

maxwedge
09-22-2006, 03:44 PM
Check the high and low sides with a gage set, the pipe into the evap should be colder than 52 degrees, do you have the manual or automatic system?

tlaman
09-22-2006, 04:50 PM
A more careful temperature measurement of the low side pipe reads 47F.

After more experimentation, with air conditioning on full, I measured the temperature out of the mid vents of driver and passenger at about 78F. I then adjusted the Passenger Temperature control (allows 4 setting + and 4 settings -) to the full - setting and the passenger mid vent went to 56F. Now, only the driver side seems to be stuck.

It must be the mechanical vent controls under the dash. Do you know how far I need to tear apart the dash to get to those controls?

maxwedge
09-22-2006, 07:08 PM
I am not sure how difficult the access to this is. Try and get under there and look but it still could be control head or programmer problems. It should be scanned with a bi directional scanner for body codes and the potential to command hvac operations, for a real diagnosis. A factory shop manual really should be used here or maybe a subscription to alldata.com for all the tech info and diagnostic trouble trees.

imidazol97
09-22-2006, 09:39 PM
I've not dug into my 03's AC luckily. I recall though having read problems with a motor (electrical) that moves a vent that affects one side or the other. I'll try to find the forum where I read that. It seems to me its accessible by removing the glovebox.

This is just a hint. Don't go replacing anything without careful diagnosis that the motor and link aren't moving. It seems to me someone's may have been stuck and they got it working again.

I'll look for the info.

Add your comment to this topic!