Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

valve adjustment 99 Passport

Woowagon
09-22-2006, 01:12 PM
Anyone done it? How long did it take? What did you find? Comments?

amigo-2k
09-22-2006, 01:35 PM
don't need to. unless they are noise. I have never heard of a +98 owner having to do it.

Woowagon
09-22-2006, 09:03 PM
Everything I have read says that the later (3.2L, 4 cam) engines have solid tappets. If true, at some point, the clearances will need checked/adjusted. Is my info wrong or do the valve clearances somehow just not change on these engines?

Gizmo42
09-22-2006, 11:13 PM
They use a bucket and shim "direct attack" system. You change the shims to adjust them which gets expensive. I've heard you cant just buy one size, you have to buy a set of them. I havent heard of anyone with an isuzu with them that has had to do it yet (some have over 200k miles). I do know of some other vehicles that needed shims done, they just turned the bad one over and it quieted down.

There is no longer a check interval on these engines. Isuzu says only do it if a valve starts making noise.

2eyefishclaw
09-26-2006, 10:27 PM
I have actually had to do one what a PITA I learned the best thing to do is just flip the stupid shim over to the flat side if the used side is concave at all
you will need special tools for this job unless you are very good at improvising as I have become ovr the years because I can never find any of the darn special tools

Add your comment to this topic!