Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Weber carbs and Holley pump

StormShadow
09-22-2006, 08:25 AM
Quick question for you guys, I have done some searching and can't find an adequate answer. I have purchased a Holley red pump (with pressure regulator) and am preparing to install the Weber to replace my old, broken, SU's. When I hooked the Holley to the SU's, it worked fine but flooded all the way out over to a dump valve by the charcoal canister (even with pressure down to 2 psi). Anyone know if this pump is just too strong for the Weber? I don't want to hook up a pump that will force too much fuel through and potentially damage the Weber...Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks all.

KimMG
09-23-2006, 05:01 AM
If the fuel pump is really only pumping at 2psi, then I would suspect that you had a bad or dirty needle and seat in the fuel bowl of the carburetor.

StormShadow
09-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the info. I had a feeling, after I disassembled my carbs that there was trouble with the SUs. I had one dashpot sticking on the right SU and some other things that looked suspect. Just wanted to make sure I hadn't confused something. Picked up a better inline pressure gauge, so I will let you know what happens.

KimMG
09-25-2006, 02:52 AM
Napa Part # 610-1051. $41.98 Facet fuel pump is a common replacement used on MGs. Does not require a regulator. There are some others available from other chain auto parts stores that don't require a regulator to reduce pressure.

StormShadow
09-25-2006, 11:13 AM
Thats FANTASTIC!! Thank you for the part number, I will use that if this Holley doesn't work out. A side question though...Are these constant electric fuel pumps (like my Holley) because I really don't understand how these things don't overpressure a carb (some kind of a slipper system on the impeller in the pump that releases when a certain pressure is released?)...

KimMG
09-26-2006, 02:52 AM
Yes, many of the aftermarket pumps continue to make noise after the fuel bowls are full. Some have noticed a slight change in the noise when the pump is not actually pumping fuel. What was wrong with your original fuel pump?

StormShadow
09-26-2006, 07:52 AM
The original pump I had flowed fuel for about 5 minutes and then would cut out and not pump. After disassembling and rebuilding the points, the pump would still only flow for a couple minutes and cut out. I had a fellow who owns a handful of MGs in my area, he told me I could replace the pump with a new stock pump, or use a Holley I had in my garage. I can laways just get the NAPA replacement, but it was just convenience for the Holley.

KimMG
09-26-2006, 01:15 PM
Are you having the same trouble with your new pump? If the gas tank vent is blocked, fuel flow will just be as you described.

StormShadow
09-26-2006, 01:57 PM
I had originally looked into this problem. I had gone through and used compressed air to flush out every fuel line originally, and I did it again after the original fuel pump began acting up. No change in the situation. As of right now I have the engine and transmission out of the car doing a checkup and evaluation of the condition, and getting ready to reinstall them and attach my Weber and plumb the fuel pump. Was trying to collect some info up front to save me the time of plumbing in the Holley and having it overpower the Weber. I should be fine, but I just wanted to get some information and opinions from other MG owners...I am actually quite happy someone responded, I usually get very little info outside of the MG specific message boards...Should have seen the guys face at AutoZone when I ordered a new set of points and condenser for the MG, he commented "What is a 24 year old guy doing with a MG, I thought you would have been driving something better..." To each his own I guess, and I know he didn't have any idea what else I have in the garage...

KimMG
09-26-2006, 11:49 PM
Better? What's better than a MG?
You were lucky he knew what a MG is, well sort of, if he really knew he wouldn't have made the "better" comment, most guys at chain autoparts stores say "Don't you mean GM?"

You mentioned clearing the fuel lines, not the vent line to the charcoal cannister. If it is clogged, it will create a vacuum in the tank. Did you make sure there is nothing floating around in the tank that is blocking the pick-up tube?

StormShadow
09-27-2006, 06:34 AM
I have not checked the gas tank itself. I took apart the canister as best I could and pulled all of the lines off of the canister itself and ran air through them, but I couldn't guarantee that the line didn't get reclogged when I used the pump again. Will have to go back and make sure as I am putting the car back together.

As for the better comment, I think he really wasn't too familiar with the MG anyways, but he was probably wondering why I didn't ask for Civic parts or something...probably surprised that I was trying to buy points/condenser instead of a wing and clear tailights. Probably threw him off for a minute. Oh well, I love my British cars, and since at the moment I can't afford my DB5, an MGB GT will have to do:iceslolan :smokin:

Add your comment to this topic!