Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Is this normal?

pudi
09-22-2006, 08:11 AM
I own '95 Vision, 3.5 L V6 and every once a while (e.g. once a month or more) when I start the car and put it into Reverse or Drive the tranny won't do it in the moment. In this case slightest tap on the throttle pedal makes transmission to perform gear change. Otherwise transmission works smoothly. So, is this normal behaviour or should I take the car to mechanic to have it checked out?

Thanks!

Knifeblade
09-22-2006, 08:39 AM
Not normal, but not too serious. U likely have your trans. speed sensor failing or not reading rpm's off the engine, so the trans isn't engaging. [More accurately, the converter isn't engaging the trans.] The trans. should immediately engage when shifted.

Prob. is, it'll get worse. I would suggest basic fluid check first, though.

pudi
09-23-2006, 01:22 PM
Not normal, but not too serious. U likely have your trans. speed sensor failing or not reading rpm's off the engine, so the trans isn't engaging. [More accurately, the converter isn't engaging the trans.] The trans. should immediately engage when shifted.

Prob. is, it'll get worse. I would suggest basic fluid check first, though.

Thanks, Knifeblade_03,
I'll check the fluid ASAP but there is still one thing bothering me. If the speed sensor is failing that would affect shifting during the drive as well not only when you start the car. Furthermore I forgot to mention that when this happens you don't have to press the gas pedal instead you can wait few moments (2 or 3 sec.) and then it will shift into drive.
Could this still be speed sensor?

Thanks again!

Knifeblade
09-24-2006, 01:46 PM
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=RG001&UserAction=processMake&Parameters=015

Start here. With the "lag" you just described above, You likely have a fluid level issue, or a clogged filter or pickup line, that impedes immediate fluid flow. Also, the pump may be failing [but unlikely]. I didn't spend much time at the link, but look at the trans. to radiator lines for static or pressure leakage, or loose connections at the lines. Any of these leaks or loose connects will bleed out line pressure, causing "lag" in engagement.

Most likely, aq basic fluid and filter change is all needed, but Do NOT, repeat DO NOT have the trans. "flushed"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big no-no with those trans.'s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

At least, you can do this yourself, before ya decide to shell out the $$$ for a tech. who will start with the same checks and make you pay for it, sigh.

One other thought is to get a diagnostic scan of the codes, that may point you to something else entirely, but I still lean towards fluid and pressure issues.

pudi
09-25-2006, 06:24 AM
You really helped me a lot Knifeblade_03, so thanks! Anyway, there is no leakage and fluid level seem to be OK (I drove for about 10 miles to warm up a bit and the level was in the middle of "warm section"), so I decided to change filter, gasket and fluid next week and hopefully this will solve my "lag" problems. And if not... ugh...

Add your comment to this topic!