Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tracker safe?

bertrand
09-21-2006, 10:25 PM
Is a 1996 Geo Tracker safe to drive? I read about them flipping, swerving in the wind, etc. Whats the deal?

viperh
09-22-2006, 12:53 AM
Is a 1996 Geo Tracker safe to drive? I read about them flipping, swerving in the wind, etc. Whats the deal?
Know the limits of the tracker and it is safe to drive. @highway speeds yes if a strong cross wind hits you need to steer against it. but the flipping thing unless you take a 90degree turn at 50+mph its not going to flip. Common sense when driving man. Your post makes me laugh because everytime I tell someone I have a 91 tracker for a DD they say "wow those things flip alot right." I've never had a problem with it so far.

Nate

bertrand
09-22-2006, 07:23 AM
How are they for highway driving?

HAWG
09-22-2006, 10:21 AM
As viperh stated,if you get in a strong crosswind, it will push you a bit. Other than that. if you drive responsibly you should not encounter any problems. These are great vehicles in the snow etc, and I usually get around 28-29 mpg with an automatic. I drive 40 miles one way to work, so I use it everyday.

farmerfelts
09-23-2006, 11:44 AM
I drive my 96 soft top from Western KY to Dallas and back every six weeks. It's 10 1/2 hours each way(1250 miles RT) and aside from there being no cruise control, its never been a problem at all even amoungst all the 18 wheelers on I-40 and I-30. It does great at 75 MPH but I'm not real comfortable above that for extended periods just for the engine's sake. Just wear some ear plugs and its like driving a Lexus.:lol:

gumby_ct
09-25-2006, 07:34 PM
I was gonna say not comfortable for a looong ride but farmerfelts must be a youngun.

I would say IF YOU know how to drive, should not be a problem. Esp. if you have experience driving. If you consider yourself a mediocre driver, well, take a cab. If you have less than say 8 yrs experience or are prone to accidents - it's probably safer for you to drive something else or even walk.

Could they tip over?, certainly, but I think that is magnified with inexperience, seriously. They do have a very short wheelbase and I could see where fast turns could cause a rollover. Study the laws of physics and you should be OK. If you don't know what they are - stay away. If you like speed, stay away.

I love mine & think it is fun to drive. But it is NOT a porsche, so I don't drive it like a porsche.

To quote Clint Eastwood - "A man's gotta know his limitations."

farmerfelts
09-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Naw gumby ct, I'm 62 years old and although our other car is a Lexus RX 300 that's very comfortable on long trips, the Tracker is more of a fun adventure out on "the slab".:smooch: Haven't had any controllability close calls since I got it in 2002 but kinda knew what I was getting and have always driven it like that.

freekshow74
09-27-2006, 01:51 AM
ha ha. this is great. i have a 92 4X4 that is slammed and i drift it. it handles like a porshce. and its for sale. i love my geo.

cheyenne'88
10-13-2006, 06:33 PM
Watch This!
15 minute video, explains everything about the Tracker/Samarai's "problem".
This is something worth watching:
http://www.acksfaq.com/videos/suzukivsconsumerreports.wmv
:mad:

gumby_ct
10-16-2006, 09:11 PM
Watch This!
15 minute video, explains everything about the Tracker/Samarai's "problem".
This is something worth watching:
http://www.acksfaq.com/videos/suzukivsconsumerreports.wmv
:mad:
Definitely worth watching.

I do like CU and remember seeing this ALL over the news in 1988 when I was car shopping and did NOT consider the Sammy because of it. I bought a 4Runner instead at 3 times the price. The 4Runner was a good choice, just bought it from a dealer that fixed the same problem 5 times, stole something from my vehicle, even shorted me 1 qt of oil on an oil change. The Regional office was NO help so I am NOT fond of Toyota for that reason.

But do watch this video.

cheyenne'88
10-17-2006, 04:42 AM
Isn't that amazing? I wish everyone knew about this like they "know" about the "rollover"! :banghead:
I don't know how Consumer Reports keeps on selling after this. How can anyone believe what they say?

Add your comment to this topic!