Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Probe Status: Broken

Mr_Powers
09-21-2006, 09:04 PM
Hey there. I own a 1996 2.0L SE automatic. I was driving home the other day and hit a red light. I tried to accelerate once the light turned green, but the car didn't go anywhere. The RPMs went up and I tried putting it in park and reverse to see if it'd do anything and it didn't. So I threw it back into drive and nearly redlined it till it lunged forward and I was able to drive it home.

Back home, I parked it for a bit and tried to drive it later. I got the same results and in neutral, my dad and I both tried to push it but the car seemed as though it was in park. I talked to a couple guys who "know cars" and they couldn't diagnose it and I can't get it to a mechanic for obvious reasons. What do you think?

rhandwor
09-22-2006, 01:05 PM
Pull the dipstick for the transmission. Check the fluid level you could have leaked out the fluid. Smell the fluid on the dipstick if it has a burnt odor to it the clutches are shot needs a rebuild. Check all plugs are plugged in to the transmission.
I would check one of the import places for a mazda transmision. They normally have 35 or 45 thousand miles on them and have a warranty. I had an immigrant come in who went to a quick lube place and they left out a plug when they serviced it. I told him to go back and complain. He said no fix it and this what I did. Only had to change one mount but it fit perfectly.

Add your comment to this topic!