Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

02 Olds Alero Amp Hookup

Yellow Eyes
09-21-2006, 03:10 PM
Ok, I've searched google, and a few other forums, and I can't find this. I have an 02 Oldsmobile Alero (obviously) and I want to hook up an amp to the stock radio. Does it have an out somewhere on it?

If it does, I'm sure its on the back. How do I get it open to look at it?

JTrujillo86
09-21-2006, 06:13 PM
What type of amp are you using? I was thinking about putting an amp in just to boost sound quality a little bit, but was unsure about which type to use, etc.

- Jeremy

JTrujillo86
09-21-2006, 06:15 PM
What type of amp are you using? I was thinking about putting an amp in just to boost sound quality a little bit, but was unsure about which type to use, etc.

- Jeremy

Yellow Eyes
09-21-2006, 08:47 PM
I'm not sure of my ampage yet. It will be for subs, so you can figure out the rest. Probably between 600-1200W. I just want to make sure there is a way for me to hook it up before I go buy one. I want to see, and actually check out the area I have to hook it up.

PotIsYourFriend
09-22-2006, 12:26 AM
No the Stock radio has no pre-outs on the back.. To get the radio out put your hand facing up under the bottom part (inside the little den infront of the shifter) and push up and out at the same time.. Make sure to put the E-Brake on and put the car in 1st gear.. Its just clipped but takes a little force and when you do get it off the wires to the cig lighter will most likely make you mad but it's easy to get off.. And as for the radio it's (if I remember correctly) has 4 bolts holding it in.. It's been atleast 4 yrs since I took mine off but an aftermarket radio will have pre-outs..

I've had the same AMP since I bought the car back in Jan. '01. JL 500/1

If you don't want to replace the radio then you could just splice the RCA jacks and connect them to the speaker wire going to the back speakers.. When you remove the plastic from the RCA cable you must do it with care and the middle wire is the Positive and the outside wire is the Negative..

I have no idea if an AMP will be upset if you feed it to many watts.. After all the pre-outs on a radio that are supposed to connect the AMP has really wattage...

PotIsYourFriend
09-22-2006, 12:42 AM

- Jeremy

You'll have to replace the 4 speakers in the car (but not the tweeters on the doors if you have them) to something like 2-Ways in the front and 3-ways in the back.. And atleast a 300watt 4 channel amp.. But make them install it because that's a big job just having to run the wires... Just make sure to get a name brand amp and read reviews on it before purchasing.. Like I said above JL makes quality amps and I've had mine for around 5 yrs with atleast 2 of them without A/C and it still has yet to overheat or blow a fuse...

Add your comment to this topic!