Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New suspension for a newb

mmmmmbarb
09-21-2006, 01:04 AM
I purchased my car lowered with cut springs, of course which I didn't know.

I've been doing a lot of research since I need a new suspension asap and wanted to know some more.

My 00 tl has 245/40/18s. Looking at the FAQ on the forum, the daily driver probably would be best with new lowering springs. What's the lowest drop I can get with having a comfortable ride w/out rubbing rubbing?

I think that with the way that my car has been running, I think I'm going to need new shocks as well. However the shop that I went to suggested going to coilovers, which I think will go through the roof in pricing. It seems that a lot of people are against coilovers for regular riding use. However the shop said that if I just get new springs and shocks, I will need to get new struts eventually and that cutting corners will catch up to me... For some reason this doens't sound right, as if he just wants me to spend more. Opinions?

A lot have said that just getting lowering springs are good enough. For riding with cut springs for some time....is there anything that I need to get other than new shocks (new struts, camber kit?)? I talked to the guy, and he said they can mold my camber so there won't be uneven wear on the tires without needing a kit. He said this is better. Not sure if its right?

If I get new springs and shocks, should i get a set from the same manufacturer? or does it not matter? I've been recommended tokico shocks and H & R springs. Is this all right together, and what is an average price for these parts, and for installation?

I know this is long, but I really need to know this info cuz i've been :banghead: :confused: :disappoin cuz of the stupid previous owner. Thanks for any help.

00accord44
09-21-2006, 09:02 PM
Who the hell had money to buy an Acura TL but went el cheapo and cut the springs :disappoin

Anyways, I don't feel like going into detail about what spring/schock setup is best/most economical. Do a search (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/search.php) for coilovers or lowering springs. There are literally 1,000,000,000,000 threads about this on AF.

Long story short: Get real lowering springs at least. If you don't want a bouncy ride anymore get a full coilover setup that comes with shorter shocks and struts.

Add your comment to this topic!