Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tiger's Den Hobbies

tigeraid
09-19-2006, 11:36 PM
http://www.tigersdenhobbies.com

:grinyes:

Tiger's Den Hobbies has been open for build services for a while now, but we're moving into our new house in a couple of weeks, and then I can start ordering inventory and open the online store.

So, big question to my fellow modelers, specifically the Canadian ones, whom I hope will be my customers!

What do you guys want to see in my inventory?

More domestic stuff, or Tamiya and Fujimi stuff?

Aftermarket parts, and if so what kinds?

Should I stock Paint/thinner/putty and would you order these from an online store if I do? Perhaps in bulk?

I was considering an eBay store for used/old kits, and misc parts box stuff. What does everyone think of this idea?

This and any other suggestions are welcomed. Thanks for your support as always guys! :icon16:

cyberkid
09-19-2006, 11:48 PM
I'd like to see some SUV's or jeeps. Will you be selling internationally?

tigeraid
09-20-2006, 12:41 AM
I'd like to see some SUV's or jeeps. Will you be selling internationally?

Certainly. Though shipping out of Canada can sometimes be a royal pain. I'm sure I could stock some domestic SUV kits...

klutz_100
09-20-2006, 02:03 AM
Good luck with your enterprise!

Martbee
09-20-2006, 06:06 AM
Couples of Fujimi since in Est Canada they are pretty hard to come by, of course a load of PE, some resin kit (SMT, Blue Moon...) and some hard to find Tamiya kit (SLR, FXX...).

Good luck with this, I'll be around checking your arrival ! Shipping to Québec shoundn't be a problem.

Mart.

NemesisR34
09-20-2006, 06:58 AM
Some Aoshima drifters/imports/trucks!

I would buy from you since I'm from Quebec too!

Dylza
09-20-2006, 08:33 AM
I'll second the Fujimi kits and Aoshima drift models...I always have to order them from japan, otherwise.
Good luck with your business, hopefully you'll be seeing me as a customer.

mikemechanic
09-20-2006, 09:11 AM
Hey John. I think I would leave the domestic stuff for Wal-Mart, very hard for a small hobby shop to compete with them. I would look forward to seeing all the import stuff and aftermarket detail stuff. There are no hobby shops here that really carry the good aftermarket detail stuff (ie P/E, carbon fiber decals, etc.) I always find myself ordering from Japan or US companies. Looking forward to making an order.

Mike.

voyageur
09-20-2006, 09:43 AM
I agree with mikemechanic,

leave domestic stuff to the big retail stores. I lived in El Paso, TX for a year and they have some great model shops there...but I never bought a kit there. I did buy aftermarket wheels, decals, PE and such things, though. And I liked the choice of model magazines they had (especially the contest ones that are impossible to find in Germany).
You should also stock tools, like drills, drill holders, PE saws etc.
Basically everything one can't buy at Walmart, HobbyLobby or Michael's.

Cheers from Germany and good luck with your business!

tigeraid
09-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys... I don't think I can leave domestic kits completely, because my build service uses about 80% domestic kits! But I hear you on the Aoshima stuff, I'll have to see if I can find a supplier reasonably affordable... As for aftermarket stuff, I'll do my best, but usually the aftermarket guys want HUGE minimum orders.

Any specific choices for aftermarket suppliers you'd like to see? I don't know the import aftermarket suppliers ALL that well... plus, I believe racingminiatures carries a lot of that stuff, though they're in BC...

patoffspyder
09-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Good news, I am from Quebec too, and I usually got custom fees when buying from USA.

I would love to see Tamiya's, Fujimi's and Aoshima's kits!
Some paint would be nice too, alclad, Cobra Colors, Finishers.

Robi J
09-20-2006, 11:47 AM
A deep G O O D L U C K ! !

Robi :)

tigeraid
09-20-2006, 12:56 PM
Good news, I am from Quebec too, and I usually got custom fees when buying from USA.

I would love to see Tamiya's, Fujimi's and Aoshima's kits!
Some paint would be nice too, alclad, Cobra Colors, Finishers.

Ya, I was considering Cobra Colours as well. And yes, one of the main hopes with this business was to help Canadians avoid customs fees :banghead:

willimo
09-20-2006, 01:11 PM
I think the most valuable online store right now would be one that buys collections or old kits from people and other sources, and sells them. I'm not talking about the rare old 60's AMT kits or whatever, just various hard to find or OOP kits. There isn't much of that out there, especially among the import brands (Tamiya, Gunze) so you'd have that market pretty tied up. plus, it'd be awesome for us to be able to have a reliable source - as in, not ebay. I know stock won't be reliable with something like that.

tigeraid
09-20-2006, 02:40 PM
I think the most valuable online store right now would be one that buys collections or old kits from people and other sources, and sells them. I'm not talking about the rare old 60's AMT kits or whatever, just various hard to find or OOP kits. There isn't much of that out there, especially among the import brands (Tamiya, Gunze) so you'd have that market pretty tied up. plus, it'd be awesome for us to be able to have a reliable source - as in, not ebay. I know stock won't be reliable with something like that.

Also a good suggestion. Problem is, I'm not sure I have enough money to throw at stuff like that... and if you look at it from my point of view, I could go and bid on a bunch of lots on ebay, and things like that, and sure enough I'd get a deal on 20, 40 or 100 kits or whatever, but then the shipping and customs charges would kill me anyway! :disappoin

Zlaja_
09-20-2006, 02:43 PM
Oh tiger, if you could stock cobra colors and ship to europe, i'd be the happiest person alive!

erb
09-20-2006, 02:49 PM
Lots of domestic kits the big retailers dont sell here in Arizona any ways. Lots of PE and resin.

DSM-Mark
09-20-2006, 03:45 PM
First off, congrats!

Would you be able to purchase kits through suppliers at sub-MSRP costs?

I currently use modelexpress.net as a benchmark for kit costs were I to find that kit in Canada. I don't know how they do it sometimes, when they sell a kit for a good price!

I've been told by several model companies (including Dennis at modelexpress) that Revell of Germany kits are VERY poorly distributed in Canada. If you could find a way to bring bulk quantities of RoG kits into Canada at a reasonable price, you'd snag a lot of business from people wanting one of those kits. I just bought a 944 kit for $42 or something because I actually found one on the shelf and I've wanted one for a while.

tigeraid
09-20-2006, 04:04 PM
First off, congrats!

Would you be able to purchase kits through suppliers at sub-MSRP costs?

I currently use modelexpress.net as a benchmark for kit costs were I to find that kit in Canada. I don't know how they do it sometimes, when they sell a kit for a good price!

I've been told by several model companies (including Dennis at modelexpress) that Revell of Germany kits are VERY poorly distributed in Canada. If you could find a way to bring bulk quantities of RoG kits into Canada at a reasonable price, you'd snag a lot of business from people wanting one of those kits. I just bought a 944 kit for $42 or something because I actually found one on the shelf and I've wanted one for a while.

I will be getting them at cost, yes. And I can certainly agree on the Revell of Germany stuff. Not sure if the Revell supplier here in Canada deals with them though :uhoh:

So basically the response here is mostly for more Aoshima, Tamiya, and Fujimi kits, some Revell of Germany, and possibly some PE stuff.

So I suppose my next question is, what companies are you guys referring to with the aftermarket/PE stuff? I know plenty of domestic ones, but I'm assuming you mostly mean import detail stuff. Any suggestions on manufacturers?

quadzero
09-20-2006, 04:15 PM
I'm not too really concerned with kits but aftermarket things like BMF, wires, braided lines and their respective connectors and fittings, PE goodies and stuff like that are very hard for me to obtain. I'm just tired of long long waits and killer shipping rates. With the nearest hobby shop 300 miles away (that doesn't do mail order) its difficult to get things like pin vices and bits, polishing kits and some other stuff that helps with the building of models. I can't even get model cement in my town and waiting a month for that isnt fun. Being in Ontario myself this sounds like the beginning of a beautiful friendship. (ok, I just watched Casablanca again)

erb
09-20-2006, 05:13 PM
Theirs a guy here in town that has a resin cassting buiesness he has evey thing you can thing of even allison transmissions for pickups. If you would be interested I could give him a call and see if I cant get a catalouge for you. Send a pm my way if your interested.

tigeraid
09-20-2006, 06:03 PM
quadzero: damn, I didn't realise you were! Aftermarket parts are definite possibility.

flathead_mike, wtf did you change your nick for? :lol2: PM sent.

suicidehummer
09-20-2006, 10:27 PM
Good for you!

By the way, some revell germany kits would be sweet!

racingminiatures
09-20-2006, 11:29 PM
A couple distributers in Canada (Kroeger & Academy so try them John) carry Revell Germany and I stock some of their kits. It just takes a long time for them to arrive after release because they come from Europe by ship and then train to Toronto.

Unfortunately we will not see Cobra Colors in Canada. I already spoke to Leon about this and there are to many hurdles to shipping it accross the border.

Regards,

Ron
Racing Miniatures
www.racingminiatures.com

tigeraid
09-21-2006, 12:02 AM
Ah, thank you Ron.

I have yet to see Cobra Colors available either. I have however seen House of Kolor...

patoffspyder
09-21-2006, 11:29 AM
House of Kolor would be great too!

Well, maybe you could just drive to Leon, buy lots of paint and sell them to us :-)

Zlaja_
09-21-2006, 12:37 PM
House of kolor would be awesome!

tigeraid
09-21-2006, 09:09 PM
I'll certainly see what I can do in that regard.

So again I ask you guys... are there any SPECIFIC aftermarket parts suppliers you'd like to see me carry? Detail Master might be an obvious one for example, but I'm not familiar enough with the import ones...

mikemechanic
09-21-2006, 09:54 PM
I'll certainly see what I can do in that regard.

So again I ask you guys... are there any SPECIFIC aftermarket parts suppliers you'd like to see me carry? Detail Master might be an obvious one for example, but I'm not familiar enough with the import ones...
Acustion, Crazy Modeler, Detail Master, Eduard, Model Factory Hiro, Sakatsu, Scale Motorsport, and Studio 27 all make excellent detail items and are not readily available here in Canada.

tigeraid
09-21-2006, 11:03 PM
There we go, that's a start ;)

speener
09-23-2006, 10:15 PM
Get some fujimi rims in, i always see them on ebay but they are from hong kong so i don't bother. Alclad 2 paint plz that is important, i don't know where to get it in canada and it is the best chrome finish so i have heard. I look forward to doing business with you.

MidMazar
09-23-2006, 11:30 PM
Scale Productions
Studio 27
Sakatsu
Please

And Good Luck

Zlaja_
09-24-2006, 07:16 AM
Scale Productions
Studio 27
Sakatsu
Please

And Good Luck

What do "Please" make? :icon16:
Seriously though, all essential scratch-building things (styrene etc.) All adhesives of various kinds, try and hook up with someone who can distribute custom paints (to match with car makers paints), All minor detailing parts like nitrous bottles, ignition wire, distributors etc. Transkits of all kinds.
Thats just a bit, i'm sure you'll think of more things.

tigeraid
09-26-2006, 11:51 AM
Hmm... on the subject of Fujimi guys, all I was able to find was their official japanese site with a form to fill out for email. I'd really like to get a hold of the company directly, or maybe the American distributor so I can get contact info. Does anyone know someone who supplies them to America?

Jay!
09-26-2006, 12:43 PM
For the US, I think it's these guys: http://www.bluefincorp.com/

tigeraid
09-27-2006, 10:24 AM
Well, fwiw, I got an email back from Aoshima themselves, in Japan, saying they'd be interested in making me a supplier in Canada... Is there enough demand for Aoshima?

willimo
09-27-2006, 11:04 AM
Yes. If there isn't, it's because people are unfamiliar with their kits. Anyone who's build an Aoshima kit wants to do more; they are very good.

tigeraid
09-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Okay... have any of you Canadians ordered Aoshima kits? If so, what kind of price to you tend to pay, including shipping and customs? I want to see if I can provide enough of a cost savings to be worth it.

mikemechanic
09-27-2006, 04:26 PM
Okay... have any of you Canadians ordered Aoshima kits? If so, what kind of price to you tend to pay, including shipping and customs? I want to see if I can provide enough of a cost savings to be worth it.
I would buy Aoshima kits but have never ordered one. They have alot of cool subject matter that I would be very interested in. Don't see very many in the stores either.

tonioseven
09-27-2006, 08:21 PM
I have/built more Aoshima kits than Tamiya. I like Aoshima better personally.:)

tigeraid
10-04-2006, 06:30 PM
Well, Aoshima seems anxious to get a distributor here in Canada, and may be willing to work with me on the size of the initial order, so this seems kinda cool.

But damn, the entire catalogue they sent me is in japanese, I have no idea where to begin. I'm gonna need your guys' help choosing what to order! :p

erb
10-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Did the guy I give you help any John?

tigeraid
10-04-2006, 06:45 PM
He hasn't responded yet.

racingminiatures
10-04-2006, 07:14 PM
Hi John,

Try going to HLJ's website and search for Aoshima. That will give you an idea of what they have available.

Regards,

Ron
Racing Miniatures
www.racingminiatures.com

patoffspyder
10-04-2006, 08:12 PM
Aoshima sells lots of D1 kits, they looks great and are hard to find in Canada.
I know that Dennis at modelexpress got some of them, for 35$ Can.

They have great sets of wheels too and some very nice kits.

Dylza
10-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Yeah definately try to get D1 kits in...I paid just under $50 for an Aoshima S15 off Ebay, simply because It was the cheapest I could find in Canada....

tigeraid
10-04-2006, 09:12 PM
Hmm... but as much as I hope you guys will be customers of mine and all... looking at the catalogue I get the feeling that Aoshima's kits are very niche-like... pretty much just drifting, classic japanese cars, and the luxury japanese car trend. I mean, you don't see a bunch of european cars, not many Hondas, no American cars....

Looks like I should expand my budget a little. Can't be Aoshima-exclusive methinks.

Add your comment to this topic!