Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

NEWS: Tamiya 1/24 Ferrari FXX is on the list!

Pages : [1] 2 3

TireGaint
09-19-2006, 08:25 AM
Good news: Tamiya is going to show its new release of 1/24 Ferrari FXX during the 46th Japan Model show in middle of October. Get your engine ready!
http://www.tamiya.com/japan/hobbyshow/index.htm

gasman03
09-19-2006, 08:37 AM
YES, excellent news, hopefully it won't have a metal chassis. and will be based of there excellent Enzo kit. we can all hope that Tamiya can give us one of these next.

http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~sc5cir/MC12.jpg
I would love a kit of the MC12

Decs0105
09-19-2006, 08:48 AM
What did I say... :grinno: :grinno: :grinno:

There are 2 different topics that say 1/24 FXX, any infos on that? Or can anybody translate it?

Technoman
09-19-2006, 08:53 AM
Looks like there are two versions as well??

Also, cool they are re-releasing the 1/12 Porsche 934 RSR, Renault re-20 and the Honda RA as well..!

ZoomZoomMX-5
09-19-2006, 08:57 AM
Cool; though I hope Revell offers one too...for lazy cheapskates like myself :lol:

ZoomZoomMX-5
09-19-2006, 08:59 AM

There are 2 different topics that say 1/24 FXX, any infos on that? Or can anybody translate it?

There will be a set of "etching parts" also available for the FXX.

I ran the Tamiya site through Google Translate.

TireGaint
09-19-2006, 09:01 AM

one is the kit itself, the other one is the PE set. :D

Decs0105
09-19-2006, 09:23 AM
thanks guys!

auw12
09-19-2006, 09:28 AM
seems like they're FXX and PE set for FXX

stryfe101
09-19-2006, 10:07 AM
hmm never built the enzo...never really wanted to, but this one....yeah this one I'll probably buy one of...thanks for the heads up!

klutz_100
09-19-2006, 10:19 AM
I hope it has diecast bottom.

Gamerxz
09-19-2006, 10:22 AM
Ok i just wanna confirm this... IF this kit is in the tamiya show , does it mean its a 100% release soon? :p

Veyron
09-19-2006, 10:22 AM
Great news!

5ynergyx
09-19-2006, 10:23 AM
Yes!! Hmm...the company selling FXX resin must be crying now... :grinyes:

Veyron
09-19-2006, 10:28 AM
Yes!! Hmm...the company selling FXX resin must be crying now... :grinyes:

They've already sold enough to make their investment back...it's the retailers holding the transkits in stock who will be hurt.

That's the risk you take getting in the resin business at any level, the plastic model companies can tool up and make a much cheaper product at anytime.

Decs0105
09-19-2006, 10:58 AM

Why? I just hope it's the same quality as the normal enzo + all the modifications.

Gamerxz
09-19-2006, 11:01 AM
Why? I just hope it's the same quality as the normal enzo + all the modifications.
:1:

Samurai75007
09-19-2006, 11:04 AM
Good news, I sold the enzo kit I had but am thinking of getting two enzos and the FXX now. Though I would rather have the MC12. Both in street and race.

racingminiatures
09-19-2006, 11:04 AM
Translation by Nifty says the 934 is a finished model?!? Does that mean it will be part of their Masterwork collection or is it just amistake in the translation? Any here read Japanese?

Thanks,

Ron
Racing Miniatures
www.raincgminiatures.com

TireGaint
09-19-2006, 11:05 AM
:1:
same here

D_LaMz
09-19-2006, 06:24 PM
Cool; though I hope Revell offers one too...for lazy cheapskates like myself :lol:

same here! :iceslolan

Technoman
09-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Translation by Nifty says the 934 is a finished model?!? Does that mean it will be part of their Masterwork collection or is it just amistake in the translation? Any here read Japanese?

Thanks,

Ron
Racing Miniatures
www.raincgminiatures.com

Isn't that referring to the new finished yellow 1/12 Carrera GT?

hirofkd
09-19-2006, 07:36 PM
The newly listed semi-assembled 1/12 Carrera GT is just the yellow version of the previously released (half-finished) kit. The 934 is a part of the masterwork collection series, and that means it's a finished model.

Canneth
09-19-2006, 08:32 PM
Would it be a stupid decision to order the E Jan FXX transkit now?

mikemechanic
09-19-2006, 08:56 PM
Excellent news. I'll be watching for the pre-order page and I hope it comes with a diecast undertray too, otherwise nobody will have anything to moan about.

Mike.

tonioseven
09-19-2006, 09:12 PM
I hope it comes with a diecast undertray too, otherwise nobody will have anything to moan about.

Mike.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I already see it coming!:grinyes: This and the Enzo aren't likely to make it to my stash:shakehead :icon16:

klutz_100
09-19-2006, 10:16 PM
A thread about new Tamiya release without the traditional diatribe about a diecast chassis??!!
It just wouldn't be the same :D ;)

Seriously though, I am quite pleased to hear this news as I have been hoping to build this version of the Enzo since it was originaly announced and have been ogling the recent transkit yhreads/announcements.

rx7king
09-19-2006, 10:50 PM
anything about a release date? i couldnt understand any of it

Chuck Kourouklis
09-19-2006, 10:52 PM
It's also kind of an unusual move for Tamiya when you think about it, innit?

The only example I can recall of Tamiya evolving its tooling along with new 1:1 versions of the subject is the '95 Cobra version of their '94 Mustang (and by the way, Tamiya, thanks a helluva lot for that one! :puke:)

Never did any Ferrari F430 or 512TR. But here's their Enzo, the plastic Ferrari kit to end all of 'em, and now they're gonna do an FXX?

Not fair. I haven't even saved enough to replace the Enzo I slapped together for a review. :(

hirofkd
09-20-2006, 04:06 AM
Never heard of the Pininfarina Mythos kit? The body sits on the Testarossa chassis, just like the real car does.

Jaff_Cannon
09-20-2006, 06:10 AM
They've already sold enough to make their investment back...it's the retailers holding the transkits in stock who will be hurt.

That's the risk you take getting in the resin business at any level, the plastic model companies can tool up and make a much cheaper product at anytime.

Absolutely agreed. With the current innovations of the plastic model industry, they can match near similar quality builds to resin kits. Most modellers would opt to pay for a "detailed" kit for a much lesser price rather than spend a pricy amount on a transkit and having to buy an extra donor kit for the conversion. Some retailers selling resin kits are actually smart, in that they only order the FXX transkit upon a serious request and they won't simply stock up a few and wait for buyers to come for it.

lumpulus
09-20-2006, 12:39 PM
Absolutely agreed. With the current innovations of the plastic model industry, they can match near similar quality builds to resin kits. Most modellers would opt to pay for a "detailed" kit for a much lesser price rather than spend a pricy amount on a transkit and having to buy an extra donor kit for the conversion. Some retailers selling resin kits are actually smart, in that they only order the FXX transkit upon a serious request and they won't simply stock up a few and wait for buyers to come for it.

I can only speak for myself, but when I order something online, I expect it to be IN STOCK and shipped the same day I order it, unless otherwise informed BEFORE I order. If possible I even call to find out if this is the case.

Any vendor that takes orders, then in turn orders what he needs, unless he conveys that to the buyer BEFORE purchase, is not doing business ethically, IMHO.

willimo
09-20-2006, 01:31 PM
Not doing business ethically because....?

You may not like it, but it's not unethical at all.

Chuck Kourouklis
09-20-2006, 03:23 PM
Never heard of the Pininfarina Mythos kit? The body sits on the Testarossa chassis, just like the real car does.

That's a one-off (a rare Tamiya move even so), and not entirely what I was talking about - guess I could've made it clearer, 'cause we could include the race versions of the Fiat 500, the Honda S, the Jaguar sedan, and the Alfa coupe under that rationale.

No, I meant that as the 1:1 street models evolve, Tamiya typically does not track that evolution in their kits. So if this were still a matter of speculation, instead of the fact we now know it to be, you might reasonably guess that we wouldn't see an FXX from Tamiya 'cause they never did a 512 TR or F430.

Granted, the FXX is a very limited production model, but it's not the stand-alone show car the Mythos was.

willimo
09-20-2006, 03:30 PM
R34 Ztune is a modified R34 kit. You're right, it's rare, but not unheard of.

ZoomZoomMX-5
09-20-2006, 03:33 PM
That's a one-off (a rare Tamiya move even so), and not entirely what I was talking about - guess I could've made it clearer, 'cause we could include the race versions of the Fiat 500, the Honda S, the Jaguar sedan, and the Alfa coupe under that rationale.

No, I meant that as the 1:1 street models evolve, Tamiya typically does not track that evolution in their kits. So if this were still a matter of speculation, instead of the fact we now know it to be, you might reasonably guess that we wouldn't see an FXX from Tamiya 'cause they never did a 512 TR or F430.

Granted, the FXX is a very limited production model, but it's not the stand-alone show car the Mythos was.

I think there are only 20 FXX's made; and they've gotten a ton of publicity. They are not meant for street use, they're track cars for very wealthy drivers, and Ferrari uses the data from the races for what is likely future street and race car development.

TireGaint
09-20-2006, 04:09 PM
I think there are only 20 FXX's made; and they've gotten a ton of publicity. They are not meant for street use, they're track cars for very wealthy drivers, and Ferrari uses the data from the races for what is likely future street and race car development.

and it doesn's have the rear mirrors too...only equipped with rear CAMERA on the roof.:D it is over 800hp!

ZoomZoomMX-5
09-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Let's not forget the Porsche Turbo that Tamiya did in the past year or so, an update of their old snap-lock slantnose.

Would be nice if they took their '99 GT3 and did the later GT2.

Jay!
09-20-2006, 04:48 PM

Will mentions the R34 Skyline, but there were 3 versions: V-Spec, V-Spec II and Z-Tune.

Modern Tamiya kits sporting updates and variations: NSX (twice), FD RX-7, S2000, 350Z, Boxster, Celica SS-II/GTFour... Counting convertible editions: Z32 300ZX, FC RX-7, Jeep Wrangler, 500SL, F360.

For half credit, kits they re-released to be un-motorized, but updated to newer specs... Going way back: FB RX-7, Subaru Alcyone, 280ZX, CR-X, Honda City, Skyline 2000 RS / GT-E.S. (like 4 or 5 versions!), Leopard...

The 180SX / Silvia should be a gimmie.

On a long shot, you could count the New Beetle as a variation on the Golf. ;)

The A-#1 lesson I've learned is not to look at Tamiya's (or any of the Japanese companies') histories, nor Tamiya's R/C line to guess their new release line-up.

If anything, I pretty much just wait until things hit the shelves anymore.

mikemechanic
09-20-2006, 06:01 PM
The A-#1 lesson I've learned is not to look at Tamiya's (or any of the Japanese companies') histories, nor Tamiya's R/C line to guess their new release line-up.

If anything, I pretty much just wait until things hit the shelves anymore.
Good point fubaz. Given Tamiyas history they are not like AMT/Revell/Monogram in giving out a big list of future releases, most of the time half of them get cancelled anyways. They just seem to come out with a future release about 2 months before it is to be released and suprise everyone.

Chuck Kourouklis
09-20-2006, 06:28 PM
NSX? Really?

I'm aware of the race cars with diecast chassis plates; I wasn't aware that they had any tooling in common with that first original street NSX kit, which would be more along the lines of what I'm talking about, though not exactly. Did Tamiya really add to or modify the original NSX tooling to represent street versions of the later transparent-headlight models? 'Cause that would be much closer to my point.

And if we're going to include all the wheel variations (I mean, what's the change to the street 350Z? A spoiler?) , let's not forget the 996 Porsches, Mercedes 500SL's or 600 sedans either. And the convertible versions were all variations on the same body style as the largely concurrent hardtop kit, am I wrong?

The harder I look at the Mustang example I brought up earlier, the more problematic even it becomes. I thought it might count because Tamiya opened the hood as well as closed the top, but even so, it's closer to the examples you all listed, isn't it?

I guess my syntax is weakly chosen again, so let's refine it: what I'm talking about is that when there is a substantive change to a given model, as there was between the Ferrari 360 and the F430, you don't frequently see Tamiya supplementing or modifying existing tooling to follow that change.

And call me crazy, but even with 20 units or less, I still see the FXX as a much more 512TR-like than Mythos-like evolution of the Enzo. Now if Tamiya were to kit something like the new Enzo-based Pininfarina Ferrari P4/5, that would be MUCH more analogous to what they did with the Mythos, which itself is very unusual for them.

I'm making an assumption here that the FXX kit is based on the Enzo, when we could be in for a closed-panel curbside with a diecast chassis plate, perhaps tracing some lineage back to the Enzo masters - which might just be more in keeping with their recent history. But if the FXX is indeed the Enzo redressed, re-engined, and re-appointed inside, it will be rather unlike too many other Tamiya kit modifications before it.

mbwoods
09-20-2006, 06:30 PM
i believe it'll be similar to what they did with the subaru wrc 2004/5 version with new bodyshell and some new parts.
anyway im gonna preorder 1 once its available at HLJ

Veyron
09-20-2006, 06:40 PM
NSX? Really?

I'm aware of the race cars with diecast chassis plates; I wasn't aware that they had any tooling in common with that first original street NSX kit, which would be more along the lines of what I'm talking about, though not exactly. Did Tamiya really add to or modify the original NSX tooling to represent street versions of the later transparent-headlight models? 'Cause that would be much closer to my point.

And if we're going to include all the wheel variations (I mean, what's the change to the street 350Z? A spoiler?) , let's not forget the 996 Porsches, Mercedes 500SL's or 600 sedans either. And the convertible versions were all variations on the same body style as the largely concurrent hardtop kit, am I wrong?

The harder I look at the Mustang example I brought up earlier, the more problematic even it becomes. I thought it might count because Tamiya opened the hood as well as closed the top, but even so, it's closer to the examples you all listed, isn't it?

I guess my syntax is weakly chosen again, so let's refine it: what I'm talking about is that when there is a substantive change to a given model, as there was between the Ferrari 360 and the F430, you don't frequently see Tamiya supplementing or modifying existing tooling to follow that change.

And call me crazy, but even with 20 units or less, I still see the FXX as a much more 512TR-like than Mythos-like evolution of the Enzo. Now if Tamiya were to kit something like the new Enzo-based Pininfarina Ferrari P4/5, that would be MUCH more analogous to what they did with the Mythos, which itself is very unusual for them.

I'm making an assumption here that the FXX kit is based on the Enzo, when we could be in for a closed-panel curbside with a diecast chassis plate, perhaps tracing some lineage back to the Enzo masters - which might just be more in keeping with their recent history. But if the FXX is indeed the Enzo redressed, re-engined, and re-appointed inside, it will be rather unlike too many other Tamiya kit modifications before it.

I don't believe Tamiya will scrimp on the FXX...they have a reputation and a commitment to Ferrari to make an honest likeness of their product. I'm not saying it will be 100% accurate, even Tamiya's Enzo body had a misplaced panel line, but I believe they will tool most of the parts specific to the FXX.

Jay!
09-20-2006, 06:54 PM
Perhaps it is syntax, then, as I consider the F430 a full model change from the F360, as much as the 308 -> 328 -> 348 -> 355 -> 360 before. At which point I can make the conflicting arguments that Tamiya kitted every generation Nissan Fairlady since the 280ZX while they ignored the Ferrari MR V8 line outright until the 360, and so far, everything past it.

But still, I'm sticking with my "Tamiya does whatever they feel like" theory.

Chuck Kourouklis
09-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Well, Tamiya certainly covered that (what, 3rd-generation?) 300ZX redesign from 1984 - but they didn't do that '87 or '88 Mid4-influenced redesign with the smoothed-over bumpers and narrowed taillight strip, right?

And although the 328 was a big change, it was still recognizably derived from the 308. Likewise, you could see the 348 roots in the 355. And the F430 could be considered a tarted-up 360 with a new engine. Tamiya tends to cover the truly full model changes where they follow a certain marque, but in this case, I'd argue that the 308-F430 lineage involves only three totally distinct designs with comprehensive updates in between.

And it's those comprehensive updates - very much what the FXX is to the Enzo, even if it's a more radical example - that I haven't seen Tamiya cover too many times. We've had a Testarossa, but no 512TR. A 360, but no F430. Did get a Mythos, and man I'd love me a P4/5, too - but I won't hold my breath.

Certainly, Tamiya does whatever it feels like. I was just saying, it appears they haven't been in the mood to do something like this too many times before.

ZoomZoomMX-5
09-20-2006, 07:57 PM
Maybe Tamiya will do the 722 version of the SLR I'm working on tonight. More fun than arguing about Tamiya on the intarnet :lol:

Chuck Kourouklis
09-20-2006, 08:16 PM
Oh, I dunno.

Extracting myself from a logical minefield of my own making is always tremendous good fun to me...

:icon16:

mobilebucky
09-20-2006, 08:28 PM
NSX? Really?

Here are the ones I can come up with, most are evolutions of Race car, F1 and Bikes.

For example: Ferrari F189 Early/Late version, Lotus 102b/102d, 107/107b
Porsche 956/962
Alfa 155DTM (93 Factory Team/Jaeger and 96 Martini/Bosch)
Honda RC211V 2002,2003,2003 Valencia, 2006 (coming soon)
Yamaha YZR M1 2004/2005
Volvo 850 Turbo BTCC Estate/Sedan
Lancer WRC Evo V/VI
Peugeot 206 WRC 99/2002
Ford Focus WRC 99/2000
Subaru Impreza 98/99
Subaru Impreza 2001-2/2004-5
Various Skyline R33 GT-R LM and JGTC versions
Supra/Tom's (Castrol/Sard) Supra JGTC ???
Also I think the body of the original NSX JGTC (97) were based on the original NSX (1990).

Chuck Kourouklis
09-20-2006, 08:57 PM
Oh, the competition stuff is an entirely different matter with Tamiya; the WRC WRX line is probably one of the more vivid examples of that. I was focusing mostly on the street cars - although the actual purpose of the FXX muddies that angle up quite a bit.

And again, far as that Volvo goes, the wagon and sedan represented two variations on the same body style, right? Pretty much as it was with the two Wranglers, the convertible/hardtop Z-cars and earlier Rx-7's.

agamo
09-21-2006, 01:02 PM
I don't believe Tamiya will scrimp on the FXX...they have a reputation and a commitment to Ferrari to make an honest likeness of their product. I'm not saying it will be 100% accurate, even Tamiya's Enzo body had a misplaced panel line, but I believe they will tool most of the parts specific to the FXX.

Misplaced panel line?? interesting, which one?

I also look forward to see this new FXX soon on preorder...

Thanks for the great info!!

TireGaint
09-21-2006, 02:26 PM
WE can pre-order the Tamiya FXX (26292) and its PE set from HobbySearch japan!!

ZoomZoomMX-5
09-21-2006, 02:32 PM
3800 yen...600 more than the Enzo, 200 less than SLR.

exhaust smoke
09-21-2006, 03:16 PM
This is great news!! I foresee a modified Enzo with additional race interiors much like how they changed their street Ferrari F40 (24077) into the Ferrari F40 GT Competizione Monte Shell kit (24284). Best of all, I am quite certain that no metal chassis will be present!!!

willimo
09-21-2006, 03:46 PM
Still no Honda RA106 :(

Vric
09-21-2006, 04:56 PM
I am quite certain that no metal chassis will be present!!!
I really hope so. The Enzo was such a nice kit, I would be very happy with a retooled version.

BVC500
09-21-2006, 05:24 PM
Whats the big deal about the SLR 722? I'd rather see another new kit than a variation of the SLR...all it would have is new front spoiler, wheels, and some decals.

I think Tamiya should start making wheel sets like Aoshima and Fujimi!!

Chuck Kourouklis
09-21-2006, 06:34 PM
Misplaced panel line?? interesting, which one?

I also look forward to see this new FXX soon on preorder...

Thanks for the great info!!

The one I noticed is that the separate front nose cap created a seam, where it joined the front fenders along the bottom edge, that's not present on the real car...

ZoomZoomMX-5
09-21-2006, 07:17 PM
The one I noticed is that the separate front nose cap created a seam, where it joined the front fenders along the bottom edge, that's not present on the real car...

Revell's Enzo has the same incorrect detail. Not hard to fix.

Chuck Kourouklis
09-21-2006, 07:49 PM
Revell's Enzo has the same incorrect detail. Not hard to fix.

Yup. It's a tiny area that you can pretty much fill with an extra bead of glue.

hirofkd
09-21-2006, 08:10 PM
That's not an inaccuracy, but just a seam that you're supposed to eliminate on your own. There are two types of seams, one is manufacturing seams that appear where two molds meet, and the other is assembly seams, created where two parts are bonded together. If that seam on the Enzo kit was an inaccuracy, all plastic models'd have tons of mistakes.

Add your comment to this topic!