T-tops

goldz28
09-18-2006, 10:51 AM
I have a small leak on my driver side t-top. I think I found a small separation in the weather striping. Do you think if I put some black silicon or caulking would help stop it.

CamaroRS92
09-18-2006, 11:59 AM
Urethane Sealer (like the glass companies use) would be best.
It will bond to the gasket in a more permanant way and wont harm the paint if you get it on there

Silicone is a very bad choice to use on automotive if it is going to touch painted surfaces anywhere.
Silicone will etch the paint and it will be guaranteed to rust at that area

bag91
09-18-2006, 12:02 PM
At least its small, on the third gen cars, all I hear about are leaks........puddles.

ZL1power69
09-18-2006, 12:06 PM
yea mine leaked bad in the center of the ttops. water would drain back to the top of the sail panels and got the rear seats all wet. u can imagine how pissed i was when huricane isabel came through.

chadis
10-12-2006, 08:03 PM
how would u go about fixing a leak in ur t tops with out spending lots.i have a 3rd gen iroc i leaks not to bad but enough to piss u off how big of a job is new weather stripingand price

ZL1power69
10-12-2006, 08:32 PM
its not fun to do and most body shops charge alot. you can get the complete weatherstripping kit from classic industries for $289 i believe.

Savage Messiah
10-13-2006, 01:33 AM
Urethane Sealer (like the glass companies use) would be best.
It will bond to the gasket in a more permanant way and wont harm the paint if you get it on there

Silicone is a very bad choice to use on automotive if it is going to touch painted surfaces anywhere.
Silicone will etch the paint and it will be guaranteed to rust at that area

um, what gasket

jeremy use some black RTV on the weatherstripping and smooth it otu with your finger, leave the window down till it dries

CamaroRS92
10-13-2006, 04:23 AM
um, what gasket

You answered your own question with the word "Weatherstripping"

Definition
Gasket - (noun) Any of a wide variety of seals or packings used between matched machine parts.

Morley
10-13-2006, 04:04 PM
Permatex black ultra weatherstrip adhesive, best I've found for weatherstripping. I replaced all my weatherstripping when i painted my car, it is a big job but makes a new paint job look so much nicer.

SG007
10-23-2006, 10:51 AM
RTV will save the day

Add your comment to this topic!