Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97' crown vic ABS

hotrod_chevyz
09-18-2006, 02:20 AM
My crown vic is having ABS problems. Here are the details.

When you start it up, no ABS light. You can let it idle in place and the light will never come on until you drive it. After about half a block the ABS light triggers and stays on until you shut the car off and turn it back on. Then once you drive it half a block it comes on again.

In the rain the ABS does not activate and the tires slide, and the ABS unit stays silent while usually you could feel it activate and it always made a noise and you could feel it in the pedal. They have always worked very well, even on solid ice.

On a wet surface you can floor it and it no longer triggers the ABS as the tires are spinning wild. Totally non functional.

ive inspected the brake system all over and the wheel sensors seem fine and are clean of anything stuck to the magnet. The rotors and pads are less than a season old front and rear, including the emergency brake shoes. The tires on the car are a brand new matching set and are the factory recommended size.

I'm guessing its the abs module. I just wanted to see if anybody has had this problem, and if i might be wrong on this one. I would hate to go spend the money on a ABS system and it end up back with a light on. The brakes were the best thing on the car IMO. Any ideas?

KimMG
09-18-2006, 04:08 AM
Do you have a local Midas or brake shop that is willing to inspect the braking system for free? A brake shop may have a scanner and be able to retrieve the trouble codes for your braking system.

way2old
09-18-2006, 06:48 AM
The way you describe it, the problem is usually a wheel speed sensor. You need to have the codes read to be sure. Usually the control module will not trip a light according to distance, it is usually a go or no go status. However, the module could be at fault because there is no rhyme or reason to electronics.

hotrod_chevyz
09-22-2006, 03:16 AM
Thanks for the advice, and your both right I should just go get the codes scanned. I found a 96 crown victoria for $200.00 bucks tho. Im going to buy it for parts so whatever is wrong with it maybe the parts car will have. Once again thanks, after I get the light to shut off and the system working right I will update this thread.

Add your comment to this topic!