Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Excessive Brake Dust & Squeaky Brakes!

dhodson2004
09-18-2006, 01:42 AM
Hello. I have a 1990 Geo Prizm LSI. The front brakes produce way too much dust. They also make a LOUD high pitched squeaking noise while braking. I spray the brakes down a few times each week. Lots of black dust washes out. After washing, the squeaking goes away for 10-20 miles depending on the amount of braking. I have applied disc brake quiet three times with these pads. The squeaking goes away for about a week. I am looking for a permanent solution. These pads still have quite a bit of life left. Should I chuck these and get ceramic pads? Thanks!

bobss396
09-19-2006, 06:53 AM
You probably have glazed up your rotors by now and they need to be resurfaced. I like to scuff up my rotors after the cut with a snading disc, just once around does it, which helps the pads break in.

Spring for the best pads you can get for it, I use those carbon friction metallic ones on my Caprice. Make sure that you use an adhesive behind the pads like Permatex Disc Brake Quiet. I give them two coats so it really builds up and will remain stuck to the caliper.

Always replace your hardwars with every brake job and use a quality hi-temp brake lube on all metal to metal surfaces and on all hardware. Just to rule them out, if you have the extra $$, get a set of rebuilt calipers and hoses if they look cracked anywhere.

Bob

Add your comment to this topic!