Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Gurgling Dash

aleekat
09-18-2006, 12:37 AM
96 Ram, 1500 4x4. I have read all over the net. Trucks normally gurgles in the dash at first start up. I have pulled the rad cap and parked on an incline suspecting air in the heater core/cooling system. Put heater on max, and let it run for about 20mins. Have done this a couple times, but the noise wont go away. Any guesses/tips?

Chris Stewart
09-19-2006, 08:07 AM
If the cooling system is full, you can try cleaning the radiator cap on both sides of the gasket and the center piece...I think it's a check valve. If that quiets down the gurgling, buy a new cap as the old one will start back leaking air soon and gurgling the coolant overflow jug.

1thunder
10-02-2006, 07:50 PM
head gasket blown letting compression into the cooling system??

aleekat
10-04-2006, 05:34 PM
head gasket blown letting compression into the cooling system??

No symptoms of head gasket issue. No pressure in overflow tank, no sweet exhaust smell. No loss of power/acceleration etc.
Thought I got it fixed, relized replaced the cap 6months ago, and auto parts guys convinced me to get the "lever-vent" cap. Replaced the cap with a new one. Still gurgles, but not as much...

cleanshavenrsx
10-12-2006, 04:23 PM
possibly intake gaskets

csl97
10-27-2006, 09:48 PM
Air in the cooling system. Get the passenger side up in the air take off cap and let it run until you don't get anymore air bubbles

aleekat
10-31-2006, 10:22 PM
Air in the cooling system. Get the passenger side up in the air take off cap and let it run until you don't get anymore air bubbles

Have done it. Steep incline on driveway.. Done this 4-5 times. Still gurgles, but only when driving away, no gurgle in park/idle..

clutch492
11-04-2006, 09:32 AM
I have the same issue. Nothing to worry about. It has to do with the location of the heater core. Air can get trapped in the core. When you first start the truck, this air purges out, causing this noise.

aleekat
11-04-2006, 07:27 PM
I have the same issue. Nothing to worry about. It has to do with the location of the heater core. Air can get trapped in the core. When you first start the truck, this air purges out, causing this noise.

Was just curious why after 10yrs, it just started..

clutch492
11-05-2006, 12:12 AM
After your reply, I did some thinking.
I did have one occurance that may have started this same trouble on my pickup.
The impeller on the water pump rusted away completely. All that was left of the impeller was a star-shaped piece of metal.
After replacing the water pump, I noticed this gurgling sound that you are talking about.
Every 6 months (or so) I am having to back flush the heater core to remove the metal particles that were once the water pump impeller.
This restriction in the heater core could be what is causing the noises. After I run it for a little while (5 minutes) it goes away.

Try back flushing the heater core. Try to catch what comes out of it. If there is a lot of rusty crap, I will bet you have the same situation developing. My truck did not overheat or anything. Try the back flush and get back to me. I am now very curious if your water pump impeller is rusted away like mine was.

Add your comment to this topic!