Page updated on 08-19-2018

Headlight Restore Anyone Done This B4?

GabeT
09-17-2006, 09:20 PM
I own a '99 GMC Jimmy and I recently purchased a new headlight. The problem I have now is the other side looks old and has a slight yellow tone to the plastic. Is it possible to restore the headlight if so, what do you use to get your final results?

maxwedge
09-18-2006, 08:30 AM
You can improve it but it will never look like a new one.

jdmccright
09-18-2006, 12:32 PM
Modern headlight assemblies use either an acrylic or polycarbonate lens which yellow from exposure to the sun. There's no avoiding it and no way to reverse it unless you install those god-awful-looking smoked headlight covers. Sorry, to be the bearer of bad news...save up to buy one for the other side!

BlazerLT
09-18-2006, 02:06 PM
You can easily restore them back to almost new condition.

Check on google, there are numerous sites detailing it.

Oh, and smoked headlight lenses RULE!!! :D

jdmccright
09-18-2006, 03:05 PM
Welp, if those resto processes can give you a good match between left and right, then I sit corrected, but given my nature to have perfect symmetry, I'd opt for a new one.

As for smoked lenses, to each his own...go nuts!

BlazerLT
09-18-2006, 09:54 PM
It will be close enough that you will NEVER notice unless someone told you.

TheBrettster
09-18-2006, 10:43 PM
I've gotten headlights at my work to look pretty dang good. Use 800 wet sand paper you can get at any automotive store. Use it to wet sand the front headlight, after awhile you will notice that the headlight looks foggy but not yellow. Now you can use some 1200 grit and sand it down till its almost clear, but you will notice when it dries it looks foggy so you need to get some Plastic X that you can buy from any automotive store. Just apply it to the headlight. You will see the results.

Tomarrow i can show you a before and after pictures cause i'm going to work on my 99 Sonoma headlights.

I've used this technique on about 60 Limousines and all my customers have been nothing but happy and plus it saved them 250 dollars.

Smoked Tail Lights Rule !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BlazerLT
09-18-2006, 10:46 PM
I've gotten headlights at my work to look pretty dang good. Use 800 wet sand paper you can get at any automotive store. Use it to wet sand the front headlight, after awhile you will notice that the headlight looks foggy but not yellow. Now you can use some 1200 grit and sand it down till its almost clear, but you will notice when it dries it looks foggy so you need to get some Plastic X that you can buy from any automotive store. Just apply it to the headlight. You will see the results.

Tomarrow i can show you a before and after pictures cause i'm going to work on my 99 Sonoma headlights.

I've used this technique on about 60 Limousines and all my customers have been nothing but happy and plus it saved them 250 dollars.

Fabulous!

You get a cookie for this.

WRITE A HOW TO!!!! :D

TheBrettster
09-19-2006, 12:35 AM
Will Do tomarrow. With Picture OOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Risher202006
09-24-2006, 11:43 AM
Actually, I agree with the sanding, but also, to prevent them from turning yellow again, wax them every time you wax your vehicle.

TheBrettster
09-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Yea but use Plastix it has a anti UV coating in it. I have tog et my towncar back from the shop then i will make the guide sorry for delay.

sector95
01-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Another trick to try: Brasso. They sell it in hardware stores and it's used for polishing brass and other metals but it actually will work on the acrylic, POS lenses we have to contend with on modern vehicles.....thanks, once again, to our meddling government which "outlawed" glass lenses on automobile headlamps.

mike
'85S10 (with "deadly" glass headlights)

muzzy1maniac
01-15-2007, 09:46 PM
Hey sector - stop dredging up old posts.

laxman21
01-15-2007, 10:23 PM
Hmmm. my 99 blazers are crystal clear. I thought they were glass.

TheBrettster
01-17-2007, 12:08 AM
I wouldn't recommend brasso.

Add your comment to this topic!