Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Grand Prix GTP

Aftershock_024
09-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Hey, I'm thinking about buying a 2000 grand prix GTP Black 4door. Anyone have a 2000 grand prix? What problems have you had with them. Appreciate the help!

GaryFenza
09-17-2006, 08:03 PM
i have a 2001 Grand Prix SE...with 107,000 miles on it(im 16) i just got it from my mom...um ,but yea, It has some decent get up and go for 3.1 V6, im sure the 3.8 can kick some ass, lol....so far its been pretty reliable, no big issues for a car with that many miles.....only thing that recently broke, was the Fuel Gauge and it ddint read the amount of fuel left, infact i think alot of Grand Prix's have that similar problem, but my dad put in a new Fuel Sending unit and it works fine now

im sure you'll love you new Car if you buy one, good luck:licka:

richtazz
09-18-2006, 06:04 AM
If you search the forums, you will realize that there are a few inherent problems with the Grand Prix. To name a few, heater blower resistors, hub bearings, ignitions switch/harness assemblies, transmission solenoids, but for the most part, they are pretty reliable. I love my 99 GT, and it's combination of good looks, practicality and performance are hard to beat. Each trim level and engine/trans package has it's own issues, the biggest with the GTP is owner abuse. The harder you drive a car, the more stuff wears out/breaks. Keep that in mind when looking at the car. And just for the record, my next Grand Prix will be a GTP. Just do your homework to be sure the car wasn't abused.

phaelax
09-18-2006, 06:58 PM
The fuel pump resistor isn't uncommon to break, so I've been told. I had to replace it on my '00 gtp, and just recently the MAF sensor. Nothing major other than sensors that I've come across. I had a '99 gtp for about a year and the only problem I had was due to a shitty wiring job by whoever assembled the sunroof. All in all, both have run up past 80k miles without a real trouble. Hopefully I'll get to see it run up to 200k

JstCloseUrEyes
09-20-2006, 12:20 AM
Hey

I have me a 2000 GP GT, and well...i have had basically all the inherent problems:

The common "key wont come out of the ignition" problem
-Replaced shifter assembly

Fan doesnt blow on 1 setting (soon to be totally broken)
-Didnt do it yet

Front driver side hub is going - sounds like i am pealing out every time i make a right turn

And in the end, despite some problems, i do not regret buying it for what it is, I would have liked a GTP, or even better a WS6, but for a first car (for me) its a good one, and while it doest need to have anything done, with a little time patience and money, the GPs can look great too

DJ Dannis
09-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Just got a 2000 Black GTP a couple days ago, and I LOVE IT!! I also own a 2005 GTO, and this car reminds me of a "Mini GTO" Great ride and decent fuel economy. Plus kewl luxories! I would definitely recommend... Just check some things out:

"When you take the car out for a drive, make you go somewhere where you can open her up and see if the transmission slips at all. Also make sure it shifts into OD and can down shift smoothly. As long as the engine and transmission have been taken good care of, there's nothing stopping that engine from lasting for a very long time."

These are some of the important guidelines I followed when I bought the GTP. I quoted this from another helper in a different forum. Also make sure the ABS and Trac Off lights are not lit or do not light up because this will require some $$ as I am experiencing somewhat. If it's under 80,000 miles then you have some GM warranty left on it for things such as the PCM - which may be the culprit in my Trac Off light says the dealer. Another thing I check as far as power train was to stand back behind the car and watch the exhaust for any black/blue smoke as my buddy reved it once. I'm sure you have bought a used car before, so you know the spiel. Good luck to you and let us know if you get it :)

Dan

Aftershock_024
09-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Thanks for all the help! And yes, I have bought a used car before. I am only 15 yrs old too. My first car I bought was a 1990 cavalier Z24. I bought it when I was 13-14 I can't remember. We had it in storage untill I got my school permit. I drove that for a couple of months and kept getting problems with it that I was getting sick of dealing with. So I decided to trade it and got my 2001 cavalier, and that is what I have now. My current car wouldn't have been my first choice, but I needed something soon becuase I am in a lot of extra-carricular activites at school that I need to drive to and my parents are always using their vehicals and they could rarely get a chance to get me to the school so I need the car. So, now I talked to my parents and they said once I get 16, (Feburary) I can get something new that I will want to drive that I will drive for a long time. So looking around I have always liked GM and the Grand Prix GTP caught my eye. So I hope I will get one by the end of August 2007. Also, thanks for the tips on what to look for when buying a new car that will shurly come in handy.
-Thanks Again!

Add your comment to this topic!