Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

how to drift?

xerofear
09-17-2006, 02:31 PM
well i noe this is gonna sound pretty stupid especially leaving this in a drifting forum , but i wanna(need)to know. alright well first off a bunch of guys that go to our school drag(street race) and others drift.and see as i just bought a bmw off a friend of mine for real cheap($900) and i already knew it was RWD but i was just gonna use it for drag until i actually went with one of my friends to his race team meets and there a drifting team and i was totally blown away with what i saw.now im all into drifting but idk how to do it.so since as i have a RWD car i was wondering how do u drift? like im not the easiest listener so if someone could tell me step by step , that would help a shit load. thanks:)

1998 BMW 328i totally stock

KamilMk
09-19-2006, 03:23 PM
well i noe this is gonna sound pretty stupid especially leaving this in a drifting forum , but i wanna(need)to know. alright well first off a bunch of guys that go to our school drag(street race) and others drift.and see as i just bought a bmw off a friend of mine for real cheap($900) and i already knew it was RWD but i was just gonna use it for drag until i actually went with one of my friends to his race team meets and there a drifting team and i was totally blown away with what i saw.now im all into drifting but idk how to do it.so since as i have a RWD car i was wondering how do u drift? like im not the easiest listener so if someone could tell me step by step , that would help a shit load. thanks:)

1998 BMW 328i totally stock

Umm... :cwm27:

Ok... I'm sorry for being rude, but you should really ask your friends since they already know how to "drift" :banghead:

VR43000GT
09-21-2006, 12:47 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/morphius289/owls/rutrippin.jpg

Don't drift in highschool with your buddies. It is a crash waiting to happen.

drftk1d
09-22-2006, 10:46 PM
Find a sanctioned event near you. Generally people are there to help newbies, unless where you live is filled with dickheads.

I go to Englishtown, NJ regularly for events.

***DISCLAIMER*** I don't officially condone this:
If that is not possible, then try to find a parking lot away from houses and/or businesses and do donuts and turns with the e-brake.

(F-)
09-23-2006, 04:11 AM
okok, i know more than a few bmw drifters, from what ive seen, this is there "method" lol

1. drive in second gear
2. turn the wheel
3. bounce off the rev limiter untill you spin out
4. repeat untill you dont spin out

doberman_52
10-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Im still learning and want to know more myself and I live in south dakota, far from drifing places and cant really go to any events, how can i learn more

S13Driftfiend
10-16-2006, 08:33 PM
Im still learning and want to know more myself and I live in south dakota, far from drifing places and cant really go to any events, how can i learn more

you have to get a rwd car before you find a place to "drift" :screwy: :banghead:

doberman_52
10-16-2006, 09:22 PM
soon i will

silvia15
10-17-2006, 12:41 AM
actually your not that far, there are plenty of events in chicago, and there was an event last month in South Dakota, join Clubfr.net they are a chicago based Drift Day forum, and D-town.us is a minnesota based drift forum.

doberman_52
10-17-2006, 08:28 AM
i will look into those, i need to wait until i turn 18 to do more, 6 months, i also need some time, thanks

2.2 Straight six
10-17-2006, 08:34 AM
get a copy of Keiichi Tsuchiya's Drift Bible DVD. it explains all the techniques used in drifting, and so on.

just remember, since you're using a rwd car, if you pull the handbrake (e brake) PUT THE CLUTCH IN when you do it. it's not good for the engine and drivetrain if they're meshed and you suddenly lock the rears.

doberman_52
10-17-2006, 10:18 AM
ive heard about putting in the cluth when u ebrake, i have a friend that likes to downshift on gravel, i am going to get drift bible soon

doberman_52
10-17-2006, 12:45 PM
i just ordered drift bible, where is d-town.us located, is there a city for that, chicago isn't to far but is a 9 - 10 hour drive

silvia15
10-17-2006, 04:55 PM
i just ordered drift bible, where is d-town.us located, is there a city for that, chicago isn't to far but is a 9 - 10 hour drive
well D-town.us is a minnesota based drift forum, i think there is a South Dakota based drift forum but im not sure, there werent many events in Minnesota this year but next year i expect alot more, and like i said there was actually one in South Dakota last month, all i have to say is that expect many more Drift Days in the midwest in the coming years!:iceslolan

doberman_52
10-17-2006, 11:29 PM
i looked at d-town.us and saw some south dakota events but not many, minnesot isnt to far (i live by sioux falls)
Thanks

SHIFT_KA24DE
11-08-2006, 01:10 AM
best way to learn is to get out there and just try it. If you don't understand why things occur the way they do... it'll be nearly impossible to comprehend what anyone says to you. Tagging along with high school kids and drifting might not be the safest thing, like someone mentioned. definitely look into schools or events if you're really interested.

best way to try it out at lower speeds is to wait until it rains. the car is relatively heavy so once it starts sliding it won't want to stop so i'd look for large/deserted areas for you and your cars sake.

doberman_52
11-08-2006, 10:18 PM
thats basically what i have been doing, but on gravel and deserted roads, but i need to get a rear wheel drive before i can learn much more,

midgetracing28
01-03-2007, 10:08 PM
clutch kick it actually if theres gravel roads around where u live start there b/c u dont have to go as fast on gravel for the same response. But gravel chews up tires quicker

Add your comment to this topic!