Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

HELP!..Idle issue with high ppitch whistle

Logan1936
09-17-2006, 01:24 PM
Hello Everybody, new to the board!

I am having an idle issue along with a high pitch whistle. 1994 Issue Rodoe, v6 3.2l. Yesterday I replaced the the spark plug seals (I was getting oil in the plugs, the plug seals were bricks btw) and valve cover gaskets...big job, but I tackled it. I got it all back to togeather and started it...the idle shot straight to 2500 rpms and this high pitched whistle I have never heard come from a car before.

So, I found this board and, many posts regarding this issue. I cleaned the IAC valve this morning...nothing, disconnected the battery to clear codes, nothing...same..I need some help and I'm sure this is the place to come...What the hell, all I did was take it apart and put it back togeather...

Please help,
Thank you!

Ramblin Fever
09-17-2006, 02:31 PM
Double check your air intake connections along with your pcv valve - make sure it all has good seal.

amigo-2k
09-17-2006, 09:18 PM
You may want to check the plugs to see if you didn't get one tight and it is leaking by.

navet374
09-17-2006, 10:13 PM
Check your valves and connections also your idle air valve and your maf sensor. See if there is a check engine light on.

surferfletch
09-17-2006, 11:15 PM
First place I'd have checked is the IAC. Sounds like you made sure it was seated properly and plugged in.

Hopefully the valve covers are properly seated.

Mirock
09-18-2006, 08:47 AM
My bet would be upper intake gasket.I think you had to remove upper intake to get to valve covers. If you left the old gasket in it might be leaking , or if you put the new one it might slead out of place or something ,check this out. I had simmilar problems with upper intake gaskets ,high pitched whistle and high rpm's on idle. ( not only in rodeo's).
Good luck.

Logan1936
09-18-2006, 10:07 AM
Ok, Got it fixed!...man! thank you, all of you...the nut on the very back of the air intake manifold wasn't tight enough (the one that goes on the post coming out of the air intake, closest to the firewall). I wrenched it down, it fired right up!, lesson learned...:redface:

Add your comment to this topic!