Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Chokes after use of accelorator

Scofo
09-17-2006, 01:15 PM
Hey, first time poster, long time user.

i have read a handful of these and you guys seem to know alot about these cars. well this is my first pontiac and it is making me crazy.

ok, well here is the latest story. I start my car, she runs fine.. for about 5 mins on it's own; after 5 mins passes (or if i rev up) the car starts to choke real bad occasionally turning in to a stall. with my hood up, i can hear it sucking in air in mass ammounts trying to level its self back out. tapping the gas doesnt help too much when it does this. after letting it choke/stall i start it up and it runs pretty good, seems like sometimes more gas is shooting than others now tho (expecially after a choke/stall).

here is the question i ask, would it be under the TPS or just as simple as a fuel filter? And should i spend money on a data logging system or a reader if i may not kep the car that much longer?

i ticked 150kM pulling in the driveway the other night and i figure its time for a full tune up.

quake61
09-17-2006, 01:29 PM
Hey, first time poster, long time user.

i have read a handful of these and you guys seem to know alot about these cars. well this is my first pontiac and it is making me crazy.

ok, well here is the latest story. I start my car, she runs fine.. for about 5 mins on it's own; after 5 mins passes (or if i rev up) the car starts to choke real bad occasionally turning in to a stall. with my hood up, i can hear it sucking in air in mass ammounts trying to level its self back out. tapping the gas doesnt help too much when it does this. after letting it choke/stall i start it up and it runs pretty good, seems like sometimes more gas is shooting than others now tho (expecially after a choke/stall).

here is the question i ask, would it be under the TPS or just as simple as a fuel filter? And should i spend money on a data logging system or a reader if i may not kep the car that much longer?

i ticked 150kM pulling in the driveway the other night and i figure its time for a full tune up.

do the tune up to start

problem seems to be in the air /fuel area

check ur air filter make sure isnt clogged,, does ur engine light come on?

Scofo
09-18-2006, 12:03 AM
Ya, brand new filter. actually it is a whole new short ram intake. and no light either. It was making this stutter before i changed the whole thing. i thought with the more air, it would be better. im buessing it is too leaniant on gas compared to the air. i am waiting for a friend to pass over his A/F gauge to read what it is.

millrtime
09-18-2006, 12:52 AM
could be getting too much air and choking the engine out.....just a thought though. def get an air/fuel reader just to check. and i wouldnt buy anything to expensive, just do the check up and sell it before anything major goes wrong and u are stuck w/ it.

Young Chuck D
09-18-2006, 03:08 AM
could be getting too much air and choking the engine out.....just a thought though. def get an air/fuel reader just to check. and i wouldnt buy anything to expensive, just do the check up and sell it before anything major goes wrong and u are stuck w/ it.

people like you make me afraid of buying a used car

Add your comment to this topic!