does anyone know law on 3rd tail light lens

mrosally16
09-17-2006, 12:00 AM
I was wondering if anyone knows the laws regarding third tail light lens. I have just spent three hours trying to find an answer. My son has a Corsica and the tail light lens cover was not in place properly so it vibrated off and so the tail light showed clear. He was stopped for this but I was told by someone that that tail light does not matter as long as the main tail; lights are in working order but my husband says that you can have no clear lights on the rear of your car. Who is right? I would appreciate any answers as I cannot find any.

Alibi
09-17-2006, 12:05 AM
I know that after a certain year all cars must have a third rear light. As for it being red, I'd say that is a safety issue becuase If I saw a single clear light in front of me, I'd freak out and think that I was about to run a motorcycle over.

As far as it being a law, I'd say yes that it probably is. I hope that the cop was nice enough to just give a warning instead of a ticket...

mrosally16
09-17-2006, 12:11 AM
thank you for answer but it was not just a single clear light because the main tail light on the rea of the car were working

2strokebloke
09-17-2006, 01:04 AM
All cars made in 1985 and after have to have a third brake light. Brake lights have to be red (if not a red lens, then a red bulb).
I've known nobody to get ticketed for the third light being OUT, but if it was showing the wrong color, then that is a completely different situation.

ec437
09-17-2006, 03:23 AM
All cars made in 1985 and after have to have a third brake light. Brake lights have to be red (if not a red lens, then a red bulb).
I've known nobody to get ticketed for the third light being OUT, but if it was showing the wrong color, then that is a completely different situation.

In Oregon colored bulbs are illegal; you are required to have a colored lens.

Oh, and I believe that the law is that cars made after 1986 have to have the 3rd high mounted light.

fredjacksonsan
09-17-2006, 06:46 AM
Yup, '86 and after have to have the high mounted stop light (HMSTL in gov't speak)

Brake lights are red so that when they activate it doesn't hamper the night vision adaptation of the person behind you. Here in VA, it's illegal, and you can get a ticket for having a white bulb showing (like after an accident) and you see lots of people covering their broken lenses with red tape.

Grab yourself a new lens and put it on....no hassles then.

tonioseven
09-17-2006, 02:24 PM
At least try to find some clear red lens tape.:)

'97ventureowner
09-17-2006, 09:01 PM
Yup, '86 and after have to have the high mounted stop light (HMSTL in gov't speak)

I've never seen it referred to as "HMSTL". I have seen it as "CHMSL" or as we in the industry like to pronounce it "Chimsl". Maybe it's a regional thing :dunno:. I do know that in many states it is part of the safety inspection. I have 2 bulbs in my CHMSL on my 1994 C1500 pickup and "failed" that part of the yearly inspection because one of the bulbs had burned out. It was replaced at no cost because the vehicle was still under warranty. I think because it is a federally mandated safety item, it must be kept in working order, which includes making sure the lens is intact and all the lights are operable.

J-Ri
05-28-2007, 04:04 PM
You surely mean '96, right? I can't remember when I first saw them, but I know that an '87 Astro and a '93 S-10 DO NOT have a 3rd brake light.

'97ventureowner
05-28-2007, 04:33 PM
Center High Mounted Stop Lamps (CHMSL) have been standard equipment on all new passenger cars sold in the United States since model year 1986 and all new light trucks since model year 1994, as required by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108.

Please do not bring up old threads. If you have something new to say please start a new thread and link to the old one if pertinent.
See here:
" A Good Thing To Know" (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/guidelines.html)
Thread closed.

Add your comment to this topic!