Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1990 buick lasaber not starting

hunter666
09-16-2006, 08:14 PM
I have 1990 buick lasaber,3.8 liter,new plugs ,water pump ,thermostat,error code reads 15,bad radiator?? but the real prob is the car starts fine in the morning then constantly floods out,have to put pedal to metal to start then she blows black smoke till excess gas burned off,then runs at very high idel,starts to overheat engine till i shut it off,wait for 1 hour start again same thing happens,,does anyone have any ideas,Thank you:banghead:

sferguson
09-16-2006, 08:56 PM
I would start by checking the fuel pressure regulator, sounds like it may be holding to much gas in the injection system. I recently purchased a guage at Harbor Freight at 14.99.

HotZ28
09-16-2006, 09:25 PM
Luckily, for those interested, the fuel pressure test kit at Harbor Freight, is on sale for $7.99, until the end of Sept. :grinyes:

Be sure to check the TPS for proper operation. You might also want to investigate the CTS, (Coolant temperature sensor) function.:thinkerg:

Engine should not overheat even at high idle! Are you sure it is overheating, or does just the gauge indicate overheating? Do you have any boil over into the coolant reservoir?:confused:

Alibi
09-16-2006, 11:48 PM
I second that you look into replacing the CTS. It is located near the IAC (Idle air control valve) on the throttle body. Tis be a small round brass-colored plug with an electrical harnes on it. A bit of a PITA to get at, but is inexpensive to replace.

While you've got that section pulled apart, you might as well give this a shot: http://www.lesabret.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4054

The idle problems might be as simple as a plugged pintle on the IAC.

Any other codes other than code 15? (heres how if you don't know otherwise: http://www.lesabret.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1201).

hunter666
09-17-2006, 01:48 PM
they say that sometimes the answer is quite simple,well for my erratic idel problem that was tormenting me for 1 week, I decided to clean the trottle body,lo and behold,runs fine idels fine,guess i should look for the simple things first,thank you guys for your time and all were vere informative

Add your comment to this topic!