Brakes grinding only in reverse

jessman1128
09-15-2006, 10:15 PM
Today, completely out of the blue, my brakes on my '96 GA started grinding horribly when in reverse. They are fine with no grinding when going forwards. I replaced the front rotors and pads one week ago. The rear brakes had new drums put on them and were adjusted about 6 months ago. Any ideas what would be causing this grinding and why it only happens when braking in reverse?

I can't tell whether the grinding is coming from the front or back or which side. Didn't have anybody around tonight to listen outside the car for me to see where the noise was coming from. I'm going to take the wheels off tomorrow while I'm helping my friend change his brakes, but was wondering if anybody can give me any ideas on what the problem might be and if I should check the front or rear wheels first.

GTP Dad
09-16-2006, 07:06 PM
Check the rear wheels first. The rear brakes adjust when in reverse so I suspect that the problem lies with the rear brakes. It could be dust in the drums or the self adjusters could be grinding. Finally you could have a broken spring that is catching when the car is backing up.

Add your comment to this topic!