Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

need help installing cd player

90sabre
09-15-2006, 05:43 PM
I really need to install a cd player into my 99 Ram this weekend. It currently has the stock am/fm/cassette, but only the cassette function works,and only sometimes. I'm taking the AIWA cd player out of my 1990 Buick, and I'm wondering if the dash kit or wiring harness would be similar or if i need to buy both new. I just need to do this as cheap(not ghetto) as possible without mangling my beautiful dash. Any help at all would be appreciated as I would like to do this asap. Thanks!

Leo
99 Dodge Ram 4X4
90 Buick LeSabre(off the road)

Stevo2
09-25-2006, 03:30 AM
www.crutchfield.com
www.installer.com

90sabre
10-20-2006, 12:41 PM
OK, I'm going to find the correct install kit for my 99 Ram. I want it to look stock, to maintain the original interior look. Does anyone have any tips on installing a cd player where the stock tape deck am/fm now sits? I can't seem to locate any screws or find a way to remove the unit. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks!

Leo
99 Ram Pickup 5.2L

edbrycem
10-21-2006, 12:33 AM
The wiring harness is not likely gonna work. you'll have to get a different one. I have purchased the wiring kit and the face plate adapter(I'm assuming the cd player is smaller then factory radio) from an auto stereo store for about 30.00 for both. It was for a ford but same concept. it was a couple years ago so prices could've gone up. Walmart Has the wiring harness as far as i know and it'll probably be cheaper there.......if u have one there. The dash though I cant tell you how to remove, haven't had to do it on mine. If there are no screws I would imagine it is clipped in. Thats how all the other vehicles i've worked on were, its my 1st dodge so i'm still learning it.

ohiodave
10-21-2006, 05:27 AM
The dash cover is held on by clips. Get ahold of the edge (top) and pull. My 98 came out fairly easy and you will find the screws for the stereo underneath.

imtheoneandonlyD
10-21-2006, 03:49 PM
You'll have to pull the black dash trim off (held on by clips) then i believe there are 2 screwed holding the stock deck in. Just remove those and your good to go.

90sabre
10-25-2006, 05:54 PM
Thanks for all the help, I was able to get it installed succesfully!

Add your comment to this topic!