Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Best Headturner for under 40k

Pages : [1] 2 3

jameschang
09-15-2006, 08:32 AM
What's everyone opinion on what car makes people turn and stare in a good way the most? This is somewhat practical as I am looking for a car, but I am more just curious.

Criterias are:

Has to be stock, no mods
New for under $45k (U.S.) or $55k (CDN)
Can actually be bought without trouble (ex. no imported Fiats, or Peugeots)

In other words what cars do girls find sexy?

I am thinking 350z, G35 coupe, Eclipse, Mustang, Boxster, 330CI, and the new SLK (yes, it use to be a girly car....not so much anymore)

I swear if girls didn't like cars, I would continue driving my '99 Civic....yes I know how stupid that sounds, but it's true.

BTW I really leaning towards purchasing a G35 coupe, but can someone tell me why WHY does it cost $47k in Canada, but only $29k in the U.S? I mean the conversion rate is very good right now, so that's not it.

Thanks everyone for you opinions.

jameschang
09-15-2006, 09:13 AM
Oh, I just realized this, thought I'd post it.

Top Gear in their September issue did a "Top 100 Sexiest Cars" of course this includes classic cars but the results are still interesting.

The only car still being produced and cost under $45k is the Nissan 350Z ranked 99th; not bad considering #100 is the original Porsche 911 S, while #98 the Maserati Ghibli Coupe.

The top 9:
RR Phantom
BMW M1
Bentley Continental S1 Fastback
'61 Lincoln Continental
Citroen C6
Chevy Camaro - Z/28 with RS body
Maserati Quattroporte
Aston Martin DB5
Cinquecento 500

If you have read the issue, you'll see why I didn't inclue #10, and I don't agree with #1

del
09-15-2006, 09:13 AM
my own experience with my female friends and colleagues, convertibles. any convertible from a miata to an SL55. S2000, A4/S4 cabriolet, 3-series convertible, the SLK, even mustang and toyota solara convertibles seem to turn their heads.

just a personal opinion which others may share, why you would spend $45k-$55k on a car just to impress women is just :screwy: to me. again, my own opinion. :screwy:

Jimster
09-15-2006, 09:16 AM
Could always get a Boxster S, that's my solution to everything (Even if it means getting one with a few k's on the clock).

blakscorpion21
09-15-2006, 09:59 AM
chicks dont care about cars, they care about the money it took to buy the car, and most are pretty car-ignorant so they assume convertibles are more expensive. the more expensive the car is the more they like it. they dont care what it looks like or especially how fast it is.

MetalHeadZaid
09-15-2006, 10:12 AM
i would go with an NSX.

jameschang
09-15-2006, 10:48 AM
Del - I totally agree that buying a car simply to impress girls is stupid, and pretty crazy, but women make us men crazy sometimes.

But I am not buying the car "just" to impress girls; I gotta get rid of the Civic and looking to buy a car; I finally saved up enough money after I finished university that I can afford something nice...so I figure why not?

Yes, convertibles are nice, but being from Toronto they're not that practical; but since when is a 350z, or M coupe practical either? I have test driven a few convertibles; mainly the G6, SLK, and Lexus LS, because of their hardtops, but other than the G6 they're expensive, but damn....are they nice.

Keep the opinion coming! Thanks!

GForce957
09-15-2006, 12:01 PM
Del - I totally agree that buying a car simply to impress girls is stupid, and pretty crazy, but women make us men crazy sometimes.

They dont make me that crazy

I would say get a used E46 M3. Girls are always drawn to BMW, plus its an amazing machine

BP2K2Max
09-15-2006, 12:05 PM
i would go with an NSX.
good luck getting one new for under $45K. i think they're almost $90K brand new.

my vote goes to either the new lexus IS350,
http://www.planetlexus.com/lexus-is250-is350/lexus-is250-is350-front.jpg

G35 coupe

http://www.nagaokaseiki.co.jp/Infiniti%20G35%20Sport%20Coupe%20-02a.jpg

or a lotus elise
http://www.scorpions.cz/nfsmw/data/car/v/Lotuselise.jpg

but if you really wanna turn heads for cheap just get a sportbike.

PlayStation3
09-15-2006, 01:42 PM
if you want an car to turn heads get the elise if you want a track car get an elise. and if you want a car that will get some viagina then get an elise.

jameschang
09-15-2006, 01:50 PM
Yeah I did see an NSX today, made ME turn my head, hehe, very nice car, but like the response before....can't find one for 45k, unless I buy early or mid 90's....but that's just crazy and fantasy thinking.

I have actually been in a Lotus Esprit....but I was too young, and didn't appreciate it. I wish I was in one now! Damn....I remember I was like "whoa this car is fast" then I almost pissed myself when someone told me I could ride shotgun (I was 17 at the time, didn't have enough driving experience to actually take the wheel).

As for a bike, season here ends in about a month; you can only insure up to October (maybe Nov) in Ontario.

jameschang
09-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Damn...well put Playstation3

jameschang
09-15-2006, 01:56 PM
Crappy, just checked out Canada's version of the U.S. DMV website, and they won't allow imported Elise, only Esprit...I personally don't like the styling of the Esprit....

MetalHeadZaid
09-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Yeah I did see an NSX today, made ME turn my head, hehe, very nice car, but like the response before....can't find one for 45k, unless I buy early or mid 90's....but that's just crazy and fantasy thinking.

I have actually been in a Lotus Esprit....but I was too young, and didn't appreciate it. I wish I was in one now! Damn....I remember I was like "whoa this car is fast" then I almost pissed myself when someone told me I could ride shotgun (I was 17 at the time, didn't have enough driving experience to actually take the wheel).

As for a bike, season here ends in about a month; you can only insure up to October (maybe Nov) in Ontario.

whats wrong with buying an older NSX? its not like your going to find one with more than 20k on the clock. you could even convert one to look like newer model and still be under 45k. i dont really see how this is fantasy thinking.

jameschang
09-15-2006, 02:18 PM
You're right, there isn't anything wrong with owning an older model NSX. It's true that finding one with only a little bit of k's is easy. But since I would probably drive it almost everyday I would definately put clicks on it. Sigh, I guess I could always keep the Civic and buy a nicer car for the weekend and for fun, but I want to be realistic, and I don't think I can do that.

This is just my opinion, but owning a older NSX, isn't as cool as owning an older 911.

But like some of the comments above, although I don't totally agree with them, chicks sometimes do only see "how much you spent on it". Anyone seen "Swingers"?

Vince Vaughn "hi"
Hot girl "What kind of car do you drive?"
Vince Vaughn "a cavalier"
Hot girl - turns around an ignores him

LOL - great movie

DinanM3_S2
09-15-2006, 03:48 PM
I love the E46 M3, but its styled a bit too much like the regular 3-series coupe. Car guys will respect you, but most girls can't tell the difference between a 325Ci and a M3. Its a great car, but you can do better if you are looking for attention.

I just did a search on Autotrader and a dealer had a 01' NSX w/ 32k miles for $56,000. The beauty behind the NSX is that it looks like a Ferrari but costs half as much, and is a million times easier to maintain. Clarkson said in one of his articles that the NSX was possibly the best car ever made because it combines near-supercar dynamics with the usability of a Honda/Acura. Gordon Murray also attributed much of the greatness of modern Ferraris (specifically the F430) to the NSX, which forced Ferrari to rethink its design strategy.

Another great option is the Porsche Boxster. Its the best of the convertables in your price range by a long shot (except maybe the Z4 M Roadster). The Porsche name beats BMW's by quite a bit and Acura by a mile.

MetalHeadZaid
09-16-2006, 06:56 AM
yup, nsx FTW! 56k for an 01, you could surely find an older one for 45k. its probably not the best idea, but i would have the balls to daily drive an nsx. just like dinanm3 said, this is honda engineering.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22

check it out, many NSXs for under 45k

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75091 perfect example.

Dyno247365
09-19-2006, 12:35 AM
You're right, there isn't anything wrong with owning an older model NSX. It's true that finding one with only a little bit of k's is easy. But since I would probably drive it almost everyday I would definately put clicks on it. Sigh, I guess I could always keep the Civic and buy a nicer car for the weekend and for fun, but I want to be realistic, and I don't think I can do that.

This is just my opinion, but owning a older NSX, isn't as cool as owning an older 911.

But like some of the comments above, although I don't totally agree with them, chicks sometimes do only see "how much you spent on it". Anyone seen "Swingers"?

Vince Vaughn "hi"
Hot girl "What kind of car do you drive?"
Vince Vaughn "a cavalier"
Hot girl - turns around an ignores him

LOL - great movie

That's funny, I know a lot of girls that drive cavs. The more ideal girl wouldn't like them I guess.

BP2K2Max
09-19-2006, 10:16 AM
That's funny, I know a lot of girls that drive cavs. The more ideal girl wouldn't like them I guess.
just cuz girls drive them doesn't mean they find them particularly attractive. i see a lot of hot girls that drive VW cabrio's and those things are hideous. girls don't wanna see guys driving "girls" cars.

jameschang
09-19-2006, 01:24 PM
just cuz girls drive them doesn't mean they find them particularly attractive. i see a lot of hot girls that drive VW cabrio's and those things are hideous. girls don't wanna see guys driving "girls" cars.

Is that why it's so hard to find a fast, hot girl...in a fast, hot bike?

Yeah, certain cars guys just shouldn't drive

Rav 4
old SLK....

C2Z06
09-20-2006, 01:08 PM
I wouldn't get a Boxter, even the Boxter S. I'd go with the S2000 for less do, better performance and far, far less maintenance requirements and a better history of reliability and fuel economy. The interior build quality, IMHO is better in the Honda vs. the Porsche. You can keep the poor man's 911.

If I were getting a convert, the S2000.
If I were getting a Coupe, the G35.
Or possibly take that money, put it in a money market with T. Rowe Price or Vanguard and by the Skyline when it finally come to the US.

Personally, I'd prefer bargain hunting for a used Z06.

G-man422
09-21-2006, 06:39 AM
i think a boxter would be a good choice.

DinanM3_S2
09-21-2006, 01:43 PM
I wouldn't get a Boxter, even the Boxter S. I'd go with the S2000 for less do, better performance and far, far less maintenance requirements and a better history of reliability and fuel economy. The interior build quality, IMHO is better in the Honda vs. the Porsche. You can keep the poor man's 911.

If I were getting a convert, the S2000.
If I were getting a Coupe, the G35.
Or possibly take that money, put it in a money market with T. Rowe Price or Vanguard and by the Skyline when it finally come to the US.

Personally, I'd prefer bargain hunting for a used Z06.

Are you sure about everything that you are saying about the Boxster? Have you ever been inside or driven a Boxster?

Performance- the old Boxster (non S) was faster around the Top Gear track, an old S or either of the new Boxsters would smash the S2000, which is beginning to age quickly.

Reliability/economy- Porsche ranked higher then Honda in the JD Powers survey and the Boxster actually gets better fuel economy (23/32 vs (20/26).

Interior Quality? are you kidding me? again, have you ever been in a Boxster (or an S2000 for that matter)? The S2000 is fairly stripped down and boring while the new Boxster's interior is quite smooth and luxurious.

Remember, we are looking for a headturner, and the S2000 has never been a very visually exciting roadster unless next to a Miata. I'd bet a Saturn Sky or Pontiac Solstice would get more looks then the S2000, let alone a Boxster.

I don't mean to bash the S2000, I think its a great car, a good alternative the the 350z, Evo, STi, GTO, and Mustang GT, but its a whole class below the Boxster, SLK, and Z4M. Comparing the S2000 to the Boxster is like comparing the Honda Accord to a BMW 3-Series. They are in different leagues.

jameschang
09-21-2006, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the inputs everyone. I agree that the Boxster is nicer than the S2000, I could be wrong, but the S2000 may be faster than the Boxster, but not the Boxster S.

There's always the case where 911 owners look down on Boxster owners; but I think the Boxster has some pretty lines and couldn't care less. Although I suppose I could always look at a used 996, they're around 35k here. So impractical, but so nice....someone get me a towel to wipe this drool off my face.

C2Z06
09-21-2006, 05:36 PM
The idea of a used 996 is something I like. Excellent car. I disagree with the impracticle statement though. If you want a headturner, it is very practicle for that sole purpose.

Still would rather find a used Z06. (I know...I'm a Vette troll).

drunken monkey
09-21-2006, 11:12 PM
heritage classics in california has an Jaguar E-type S1 FHC for under $40K.
come to think of it, $40K shoud be able to get you a nice 308GTB as well.

blakscorpion21
09-22-2006, 12:08 AM
didnt a boxter lap only like 1 second ahead of an s2000 on test gear?

Jimster
09-22-2006, 12:25 AM
Yeah, but it was a standard Boxster 2.7, rather than the 3.2 S.

DinanM3_S2
09-22-2006, 12:29 AM
didnt a boxter lap only like 1 second ahead of an s2000 on test gear?

A second is a fair amount of time on the TG track, there was only 0.4 seconds between the Boxster and the S2000.

C2Z06
09-22-2006, 07:29 AM
Drunken Monkey, excellent call! 308GTB! Best idea I've heard so far!

fairladyz_gt-r
09-30-2006, 11:05 PM
I would get NSX...that thing will definetly become collectable in the near future....come and think about it...maybe i should get one...

Red CELL
10-26-2006, 04:31 AM
1st gen camaro
can make something similar example:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b139/Red-Cell/3.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b139/Red-Cell/5.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b139/Red-Cell/15.jpg[/URL]

for that kind of money you can get a 1st generation maro in new condition, completley restored. keep in mind there easy to work on and if you stay away from the megabucks numbers-matching cars, youll be sure to find an awesome daily driver.
there are not many cars out there that will get a womans attention like one of these, trust me.

also check out [URL="http://www.ultrastreet.net";]www.ultrastreet.net (http://www.cricketfood.com/images/ext1.jpg) for some new warrantied rumble.

MetalHeadZaid
10-26-2006, 05:19 AM
i dont know one woman who would rather have a 68 camaro than an NSX lol. i mean, not to badmouth the camaro, but it depends if you like turning or not.

Red CELL
10-26-2006, 05:55 AM
i dont know one woman who would rather have a 68 camaro than an NSX lol. i mean, not to badmouth the camaro, but it depends if you like turning or not.

its preference, just giving jameschang ideas.
why do you believe you cant get a first gen to handle? my 69 z/28 handles great.
the money he wants to spend, he can simply mod the suspension for his needs.
http://www.detroitspeed.com/index.htm
http://www.pro-touring.com/

MetalHeadZaid
10-26-2006, 06:20 AM
handle in comparison to what? i think i'm sounding like an asshole, but you seriously can't compare a camaro to an NSX in terms of handling. sure, it may handle well for what it is, but the fact is that if you want a car which handles, a first gen comaro is not the way to go.

Red CELL
10-26-2006, 06:37 AM
handle in comparison to what? i think i'm sounding like an asshole, but you seriously can't compare a camaro to an NSX in terms of handling. sure, it may handle well for what it is, but the fact is that if you want a car which handles, a first gen comaro is not the way to go.

I agree that a 1st gen out of the box is not going to handle like an nsx lol
but at the same time it can be done, also the parts in comparison to cost is a huge difference. getting a used nsx vs a custom 1st gen, to me its going to be the camaro every time. its preference.

the 2002 nsx is in his price range, handling of 0.90 200ft skidpad and weighing almost 3200lbs is nothing magical.

blakscorpion21
10-26-2006, 12:44 PM
1st gen camaros are not exactly cheap either, you could spend 10 grand easy on one that is in just decent condition, not to mention fully restored. ive seen people charge 5 grand for the shell. and without major mula in suspension mods, they are gonna handle like minivans. plus a camaro will only be apealing to some enthusiasts, while the nsx will be appealing to all, including women. if that matters lol.

that is a very slick camaro in that picture though.

MetalHeadZaid
10-26-2006, 01:10 PM
Meh, i would choose COPO styling over that any day, but that's just me. i refuse to argue with you about camaro vs. NSX dude. I've seen an NSX go for as little as 20k. extra 20k in mods and you would have a supercar destroyer, let alone first gen camaros. one that out handles the NSX wouldnt be a camaro at that point anyways. maybe half camaro lol.

BlackGT2000
10-26-2006, 05:09 PM
Well I think a Camaro like that would draw as much attention as an NSX. I think 20000 for an NSX is also an unrealistic expectation. Everyone has "seen the deal of the century" but unless someone comes in here and tells me that they bought one for 20, i am really not going to believe 20 is a realistic price. That being said, a 40 year old camaro is really not going to perform as well as an NSX in any category without rediculous modification. Even then I doubt that it would match it some categories.

DinanM3_S2
10-26-2006, 06:16 PM
Its reasonable to think that a Camaro could compete with a NSX in a straight line, but I don't think its economically feasable to do everthing you would need to do to get an early Camaro to handle anywhere near a NSX. The NSX has every advantage under the sun. Better chassis, mid-engined, lighter weight, better breaks, and a much more advanced suspension. Overcoming all of those obstacles would cost a small fortune even if you were able to do all the work yourself.

alphalanos
10-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Most girls wouldnt know an NSX if it was parked in their driveway.

blakscorpion21
10-26-2006, 06:27 PM
they would think it was a ferarri, even better. :D

Red CELL
10-26-2006, 06:59 PM
were talking head turner not camaro vs nsx!
if done right you can have the best of both worlds with a muscle car.
40k is definetly do-able. also the cost in parts is a major factor if you want something aftermarket.
like i said just giving the guy some options.

BlackGT2000
10-26-2006, 08:03 PM
Well as far as head turner, I agree that a properly done classic muscle car (not just Camaros) can turn some serious heads.

blakscorpion21
10-26-2006, 08:07 PM
i agree, but the only heads it will turn are those of enthusiasts. 90 percent of non-enthusiasts could care less though.

BlackGT2000
10-26-2006, 08:31 PM
I would disagree, I think you are underestimating much of the public. People know what a muscle car is and when they are nice and shiny.....they get noticed.

hotrod_chevyz
10-26-2006, 08:35 PM
The first gen camaros that compete against nsx's are not even close to stock. They are just sheet metal around a roll cage. And will compete with a NSX. I dont like how the NSX's look. IMO.

If it has to stay under $40,000 i have to go with a mallett solstice.

New GXP Solstice 20K

http://www.pontiac.com/solstice/index.jsp

hook it up like this

http://www.mallettcars.com/solstice-conversion.htm

$20k standard package.

BlackGT2000
10-26-2006, 08:42 PM
As impressive as a mallet solstice is, it will not turn any more heads than a normal solstice.

BP2K2Max
10-26-2006, 08:47 PM
they would think it was a ferarri, even better. :D
nah, they'd be like "ooh, nice corvette"

blakscorpion21
10-27-2006, 12:11 AM
I would disagree, I think you are underestimating much of the public. People know what a muscle car is and when they are nice and shiny.....they get noticed.

i think any car that is nice and shiny will get noticed. however muscle cars are not associated with being expensive and exotic high performance cars even though every one knows what a muscle car is. to most its just an old car with a nice paint job.

MetalHeadZaid
10-27-2006, 05:47 AM
to most its just an old car with a nice paint job.
exactly what people think about my dad's stingray, which is an exotic muscle car if any.

that's very cool, i've not heard of anyone moding those cars yet, i dont deny that would probably spank an NSX in the straight line. although in terms of reliablity and platform, i would still take an NSX. it would be worth finding an nsx for 30k and puting another 10k into it for the simple reason that you're getting the best of both worlds. handling on par with ferraris of the earlier 90s, but boosted to 450whp all in a 2800 pound car.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78171 how can anybody say this doesnt look like a supercar?

PlayStation3
10-27-2006, 06:17 AM
The first gen camaros that compete against nsx's are not even close to stock. They are just sheet metal around a roll cage. And will compete with a NSX. I dont like how the NSX's look. IMO.

New GXP Solstice 20K

http://www.pontiac.com/solstice/index.jsp

hook it up like this

http://www.mallettcars.com/solstice-conversion.htm

$20k standard package.

actully you went over becuse with the mallet conversion the 20k is the price of the conversion. so you will need another 26k for the solostice. which equals 46 grand

blakscorpion21
10-27-2006, 11:56 AM
exactly what people think about my dad's stingray, which is an exotic muscle car if any.

that's very cool, i've not heard of anyone moding those cars yet, i dont deny that would probably spank an NSX in the straight line. although in terms of reliablity and platform, i would still take an NSX. it would be worth finding an nsx for 30k and puting another 10k into it for the simple reason that you're getting the best of both worlds. handling on par with ferraris of the earlier 90s, but boosted to 450whp all in a 2800 pound car.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78171 how can anybody say this doesnt look like a supercar?

yup, the nsx is pretty much the sexiest japaneesse car ever. youd have to go to europe to find a better looking car.

BlackGT2000
10-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Well in any case I would still the factory five cobras with a nice paint job are a pretty solid head turner for around well under 40000

MetalHeadZaid
10-27-2006, 03:37 PM
but not the best ;)

hotrod_chevyz
10-27-2006, 04:09 PM
actully you went over becuse with the mallet conversion the 20k is the price of the conversion. so you will need another 26k for the solostice. which equals 46 grand

You can buy a solstice straight up from gm for 20K cash. On a payment plan then your looking at paying more. As for mallet i dont think they would refuse that much cash out on the table. Those cars have got to be fun to drive, thats a lot of power for a car so small.

I did think about it a little more tho and really if i had that kind of money to just go out and spend, i would find a used 2004 corvette under 70k miles that has already been lightly modded.

blakscorpion21
10-27-2006, 06:04 PM
the solstice isnt exactly small, it weighs over 3000 lbs. the new gxp solstice is very nice though. it beat a porsche boxter around a track. ive been impressed by gm lateley, they are putting out some solid cars unlike ford and dc which are just hogs with huge engines for the most part.

BlackGT2000
10-27-2006, 06:08 PM
The solstice dosn't weigh 3000 pounds. I just looked it up as 2860.

blakscorpion21
10-27-2006, 06:49 PM
i was thinking the gxp then. it weighs 2940, close enough lol.

hotrod_chevyz
10-27-2006, 07:20 PM
GM has a pretty good lineup right now. And by 2008 GM will have more than just a Camaro up its sleeve.

Talk of a supercharged Corvettes.

http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?ID=56133

GM also plans to make the grand prix gxp's a rwd platform car.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/08/24/predicting-the-2008-pontiac-grand-prix-g8/

If only they would detail the newer monte carlos and make them rwd. Maybe the monte carlo gxp will become GMs only fwd v-8 platform car, wich would be okay with me.

Heres an article that suprised me. I thought the 500 horse gt500 would be faster than a regular 400 horse corvette coupe.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/11150/heavy-pedal.html

Add your comment to this topic!