engine growl

dodgefan
09-14-2006, 04:28 PM
i have a 1996 dodge ram 1500 laramie slt with a 5.2L v8. about a week ago after getting the truck inspected and registered after 3 months of it sitting in my driveway, it started to have problems. while still and idling the truck runs fine, but when i take it down the road and put any pressure on the gas the engine emits a very loud growling noise from the throttle assembly, which in turn gives no power. i can push the pedal to the floor and it goes very slow but the growl gets louder.

before all of this, i had recently put a new battery, o2 sensors, and a tranny speed sensor in the truck. which ran fine for a day after. i plugged in a scanner to the computer port and got the code for the Throttle Position Sensor, so, replaced that, still the same thing except now... the check engine light is on, and still i get the TPS code on the scanner. went back and checked the wiring for the sensor and all the voltages are right on the money. i am at a loss as to what the problem may be. was reading some other posts on the forums, could this be a collapsed cat converter? or possibly the idle air controller? not sure why its still giving me the throttle position sensor code on the scanner. :disappoin

BleedDodge
09-14-2006, 08:44 PM
could this be a collapsed cat converter?
Yes.

hondahappy86
09-15-2006, 12:38 AM
yes...definately a cat...it happened to mine too....i hollowed it out and put in new o2 sensors.....it will be fine

dodgefan
09-15-2006, 12:00 PM
well, i got some information on the dodgetalk forums that it may be a frozen IAC, so im going to try to clean that up first/buy a new one since its a much easier/cheaper fix. thanks for the replies :grinyes:

BleedDodge
09-15-2006, 11:02 PM
Those guys don't know anything.

sd03ram1500
09-16-2006, 07:54 AM
IAC shouldn't have anything to do with getting on the gas. like it's called.. IAC - Idle Air Control. it doesn't affect anything above idle. i agree that your Cat is toast. gl

Add your comment to this topic!