Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Grand AM SE Battery Issues

djm528
09-14-2006, 12:07 PM
I have had a problem with my Grand Am going through batteries since the day I go it. Seems withing a year the battery will be completely dead. I have had the alternator tested and it is ok.

My stereo is just the casette player but the display rare works well. Today I see the battery light on so I guess this is something new.

But has anyone else figured out what causes the battery life to be so short on the Grand Am?

Thanks,

Jmoney3318
09-14-2006, 12:16 PM
Welcome to the Forums!

i think it has to do with the volts or watts the battery is pushing, you could also try your connections terminals and gorund wires, because when i had my stock battery with my sound system my battery was gone in a couple months so i assume batterys life is run by how much power its using up on the electrical system. persoanlly if you keep gettin this problem try gettin a stronger battery, instead of the AC delco one or whatever one you have i have a yellow top Duralast and its been powering my system without any problems and with the trad ein of my old battery at autozone only spend a good 50-60 bux to ge tthe yellow-top

djm528
09-14-2006, 12:37 PM
I don't think there is any major draw coming from my sound system. I have the stock casette player. I do have an lcd display that sometimes show characters correctly if at all. I have no power widows, mirrors or anything.

I have always had the lcd issue with the clock on my stereo. Sometimes it displays everything fine and most of the time the characters are broken and unreadable. Lately it is just blank a lot.

grfnkl
09-14-2006, 01:48 PM
either you have a drain on the battery from something in the car, radio, lights, anything power related.... OR you are having some really bad luck with the batteries. I've had batteries go bad in a matter on months. Then again i bought a "cheaper" battery and well I paid for it in the end. If you are getting a battery light on your dash, that normally means that the battery is not being charged properly, so your alternator maybe shot now. hope this helps...

xeroinfinity
09-14-2006, 02:42 PM
check all your connections for sure !

Can take it to the Zone or somewhere and they can test the charging systm for free, and load test too.
THis way you might find out what the problem really is.

A battery should last a couple years at least, unless u live where its 120 degress or -30 all the time, then you might hav problems regardless.

Add your comment to this topic!