Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

stuck rear wheel hub assembly, 93 lesabre

falc
09-13-2006, 11:20 PM
93 Lesabre. Well like the title says, I got the 4 Torx bolts off to replace my left rear wheel hub assembly, but the assembly is stuck on my car (rusted together basically). I can't see an easy way to place a standard puller in there or any other way to pry it off without damaging the brake hardware (drums).

Is there a special wheel bearing puller out there or a trick to getting these things off when they are stuck?

I've searched the net and forums but came up empty handed .. thanks in advance.

Alibi
09-14-2006, 02:53 AM
lots of rust eater and kind popping with a hammer ought to do it. Another trick would by to use a cutting or grinding wheel on either an angle grinder or a dremel-like tool and try to buff off any rust that you can reach.

It should just pop off after you get the bolts off. Why not remove all the brake stuff (you have to remove it anyway to get the hub off, right?) and just pound thre crap ouf of the hub and spray it down with penetrating oil between whacks? You're replacing the hub anyway so its not going the hurt the one thats on your car any to beat on it.

falc
09-14-2006, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the advice. Here is a rundown of what I did in case someone else needs some advice in the future. FYI I bought the bearing from a upic yard, it was CDN$45 off the shelf, whereas parts stores wanted CDN$200++ for offshore junk. Saved me a bunch, and basically I can replace the bearing another 3 times with off the shelf yard parts and still be cheaper than a new offshore POS, minus the labour of course.

I ended up using quite the contraption to get the hub off, consisted of 2 vice grips, a 2-arm puller, 1 lug nut and 1 socket. I wish I had a camera it looked pretty strange but it worked.

I basically threaded one of the Torx bolts halfway in, then placed the puller jaws on the flange that holds the wheel studs, and the center of the puller through a hole in that flange and against the half-threaded Torx bolt. So basically as I tightened the puller, it drew the hub assembly (and flange) away from the car.

The hub assembly was 'rusted' into the brake drum housing, which seperated from the knuckle in 1 piece. I turned the brake drum housing upside down on my knee, making sure not to overbend the brakeline flexhose or parking brake cable or damage the shoes/brake components, cleaned up the rear of the hub assembly that needed to move with a wire brush, scraper and some WD40, then a few good hammer whacks freed the hub assembly from the brake housing. I then cleaned up the rust and debris I could see, and reversed the process, only this time it was much easier :)

Add your comment to this topic!