OEM or Aftermaket Waterpump?

supersnake83
09-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Hi everyone,

My question is just that. Does it matter if my waterpump is OEM or aftermarket? Since it is just a belt, how about my timing belt. Should my timing belt be OEM or aftermarket?

Will it make a difference if I use an aftermarket wiper relay, or should I just stay with OEM?

Also, what should be done when getting the timing belt changed? Is it just the belt and water pump or should other things get changed?

I have a 93 J30 with 117000 miles on it with a new (rebuilt OEM alternator) and thats about it.

Thanks in advace everyone,

Geoff.

swimshark
09-15-2006, 04:31 PM
well I learned this the hard way, but when I had my timing belt and waterpump replaced at a shop something really bad happened. After they put the timing belt and finished the rest of the job< I drove it back to school. On my way back, the waterpump broke into 2 pieces which caused the fan to drop and almost destroyed my radiator. The shop took it back and showed us the "aftermarket" waterpump which was in 2 pieces. When they redid the timing belt they put a genuine Infiniti waterpump and fixed the radiator free of charge. So just a warning that the aftermarket waterpump might break. The aftermarket one they showed me was alot thinner metal than the Infiniti waterpump, so if you want to save trouble and time go with an Infiniti waterpump. As for the belt, you could probably use an aftermarket. Something on this caliber shouldnt matter.

-Josh Sharpe

supersnake83
09-16-2006, 07:27 AM
Hi everyone,

I just ordered a timing kit from Infiniti of Scottsdale, AZ. The whole kit for a 93 J30 included:

1 Timing belt
1 Water Pump,
4 Camshaft seals,
1 Crankshaft seal,
3 Drive belts,
1 Tensioner,
2 Tensioner springs,
2 bypass hoses, and,
1 Thermostat

All for 342.00 USD (including about 10.00 shipping).

swimshark
09-27-2006, 09:38 AM
take it to a local shop and not the dealer

supersnake83
09-27-2006, 11:19 AM
Thanks,

I am going to take it to a local shop. I had somebody that would do the job for $175.00, but he may not be available for a few weeks.

I found another shop that said they will do the whole timing belt overhaul and clean my Idle air control valve and throttle body for $460.00.

Thanks,

Geoff.

Underground_Killah
10-06-2006, 01:30 AM
for the most part go oem with the infiniti.... you'll definately get better quality.

Add your comment to this topic!