Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Very Soft Break pedal

speedrik
09-12-2006, 08:41 PM
97 caravan. Wife drives it mainly- uh huh... I drove it the other night and hit th ebrakes and there was nothign there. Pedal nearly on the floor before got any resistance and reaction. Panic stop - wont happen. Not sure there is enough there to even lock em up. Checked and added fluid, so that is full. Is there an adjustment in the cable sysyem? Any suggestions? All round new brake job?? Help!! - sick of this P.O.Sh#t. (Two AC, on 3rd tranny, **&%^$^@@#$) - Just hit 130k...

Bernard Feltzer
09-13-2006, 12:20 AM
You have a brake fluid leak somewhere.
Check the front brake hoses for cracks.
Check the rear brake cylinder pistons if you have drum brakes on rear.
Check the metal brake lines going to the rear, some vans use a rubber connecting hose near the rear axle which have metal fittings that corrode too easily.
The leak can be smaller than a pinhole to give you a soft pedal.
When you do find it and get it repaired, you will have to bleed brake lines to remove air from the system to get a nice firm pedal.

Bear
09-14-2006, 06:09 PM
I hear you, and on my 1996 Caravan the problem was a leaking rear wheel cylinder, in fact I would get fluid on the brake material and she sounded a bit like grinding sand. I replaced both rear cylinders and bled the system and all is normal. One observation, these brakes are a bit soft (IMHO) as compared to my 1988 BMW 750 where the braking is there right now.

Add your comment to this topic!