Please Help Crank Sensor Adjustment

91gsx
09-12-2006, 11:57 AM
I have a 1992 Bonn. SSE, want to replace Harmonic Balancer and Crank sensor, I have the balancer off, and now have a new one to replace it, my question is how to adjust the crank sensor when you are reinstalling it, I know it has to be .20 thousands and with a brass gauge, but is this possible once you get the balancer and the sensor back in place, or is there a special way to do this, as I do not want to mess things up, I only want to do it once, any suggestions would be helpful and very much appreciated,,,,,,,,,thanks ,,,,,,,,,Jim

91gsx
09-13-2006, 08:09 AM
There's got to be someone who can tell me how to do this, I searched the site and there's no word for word explaination,,,,,,,,,,Please Help!

ChemMan
09-13-2006, 02:51 PM
According to my chilton's manual, 86-91 requires a special tool J37089 to install the crank sensor. 92-99 it simply says to install the sensor on the block and tighten the retaining bolts. What procedure are you working from?:frown:

91gsx
09-13-2006, 03:25 PM
The car is a 1992, and the crank sensor sets in the bracket that mounts to the block, but it has a long screw that when tightened pinches down on the sensor, so once it is adjusted it does not move, my question is can you get in to adjust it once it is in place, I know it has a guard or shield that goes on after you get done mounting it, is there enough room to get in behind it once it is mounted to make the proper adjustment of .20 thousands with a feeler gauge. This car was apart when I got it so I'm not sure about the procedure to do this. Just want to make sure before messing something up, and costing more to fix it,,,thanks

maxwedge
09-13-2006, 05:16 PM
Check this link. http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/15/e4/2d/0900823d8015e42d.jsp

91gsx
09-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Heh Maxwedge, thanks for the link, it just so happens I have that already, what it does not tell you is how to adjust the gap, its a good discription of it but of no help to me, and there seems to be no tool to do this other then the brass feeler gauge they recomend, because of the magnet in the sensor, but thanks anyway, maybe someone else will drop me a mess,,,,,,,Pops

ChemMan
09-14-2006, 07:29 PM
What exactly is telling you that you have to adjust a gap? Who is recommending using a brass feeler gauge? You've got two references telling you to simply install the new sensor and you are done. You seem to be making this too hard for some reason.:dunno:

91gsx
09-14-2006, 08:06 PM
I am guessing you have never installed one with this setup before, I will try and explain this one more time, I have been working on cars for over 40 years, and yes I can read directions, so here goes, the Bracket that the crank sensor fits into has an opening, where as the sensor is able to slide about a 1/2 inch or so, there is a long screw that goes from one side of the bracket to the other, when you get the sensor in the adjusted spot you can then lock it in place with the long screw, which clamps or squeezes down on the sensor, at this point there would be an air gap of .20 thousands between the sensor and the interuptor ring which alows the sensor not to come in contact with the ring, so as to prolong the life of the sensor, and yes in reading the different links its says to just install and tighten it down, which is not how you want to do this, because at that point you will be replacing the sensor, maybe in less then a couple hours, becuase it would have been worn out, not the trip I want to take, if you know what I mean, once you get the harmonic balancer on all the way, you still have to adjust the gap, again can you do this adjustment after its all together, that's something that the directions do not tell you, better right then taking it all back apart and doing it all over again,,,,sorry about going on and on,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jim,,or,,,Pops

GMMerlin
09-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Why don't you place a thick rubber band on the crank reluctor wheel and turn it thru the crank sensor.
Use the band as your feeler guage to adjust the sensor then rotate the crank around and remove the rubber bank.

Working on cars for 40 years....hopefully one day you will fix one:grinyes:

GMMERLIN...FIXING cars and trucks for 25 YEARS:evillol:

91gsx
09-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Thanks GM Merlin,
I will try this, heh you learn new things everyday, now I don't have to :banghead: , I can actually try something new, I guess it would be easy to overlook a rubber band as being a way to make this adjustment, you have learned so much in your short time of fixing cars :iceslolan , kind of the way I felt when I read your comment:rolleyes: , its not that I do this everyday for a living, because if I did, I'm sure I would have been schooled thru GM, :evillol: but you are a good Moderator, because sometimes I just come on this forum to read some of your posts, which by the way are very imformative, so again I thank you for bringing up such a simple solution, I sorry for being so sarcastic, its been a long day, and I'm sure I will learn much more from reading the posts on here, it is a very good forum, with a wealth of information.:wink:

GMMerlin
09-16-2006, 10:46 AM
Don't worry...after 40 years of trying, one day you will fix one :rofl:

91gsx
09-16-2006, 11:19 AM
Since you are the Mod on here, a person that is here to HELP people, I figured you would have answered this post 3 days ago, then we would not be at this point, and as for fixing cars, not that you really care,:shakehead , I have defeated many more, then has me,:grinyes: you must be the guru of your shop, because I believe I seen somewhere that you do work for a dealership, i just hope you do not treat your customers the same way as people on this forum, for they are here for one reason, HELP, to solve a problem they are having with their vechical, and true many do not have the knowledge that you do, but guess what they are trying, and if you are trying to be funny, nope did not work, some people take it very serious, as I do, because they come here for HELP!! Try and be a little more easy on these people, I know it can be hard, sometimes I do not understand things they post, even things I post sometimes when I reread it, I say to myself, heh this is not going to go over, I wonder what response I will get, anyway I hope you have a good day, sorry for the vent, just use your power ( knowledge ) to help me, heh I'm an old man with a big heart, later,Jim

maxwedge
09-16-2006, 12:08 PM
Since you are the Mod on here, a person that is here to HELP people, I figured you would have answered this post 3 days ago, then we would not be at this point, and as for fixing cars, not that you really care,:shakehead , I have defeated many more, then has me,:grinyes: you must be the guru of your shop, because I believe I seen somewhere that you do work for a dealership, i just hope you do not treat your customers the same way as people on this forum, for they are here for one reason, HELP, to solve a problem they are having with their vechical, and true many do not have the knowledge that you do, but guess what they are trying, and if you are trying to be funny, nope did not work, some people take it very serious, as I do, because they come here for HELP!! Try and be a little more easy on these people, I know it can be hard, sometimes I do not understand things they post, even things I post sometimes when I reread it, I say to myself, heh this is not going to go over, I wonder what response I will get, anyway I hope you have a good day, sorry for the vent, just use your power ( knowledge ) to help me, heh I'm an old man with a big heart, later,JimJim, go easy on the older man stuff, 66 years old here!

GMMerlin
09-16-2006, 06:22 PM
Since you are the Mod on here, a person that is here to HELP people, I figured you would have answered this post 3 days ago, then we would not be at this point, and as for fixing cars, not that you really care,:shakehead , I have defeated many more, then has me,:grinyes: you must be the guru of your shop, because I believe I seen somewhere that you do work for a dealership, i just hope you do not treat your customers the same way as people on this forum, for they are here for one reason, HELP, to solve a problem they are having with their vechical, and true many do not have the knowledge that you do, but guess what they are trying, and if you are trying to be funny, nope did not work, some people take it very serious, as I do, because they come here for HELP!! Try and be a little more easy on these people, I know it can be hard, sometimes I do not understand things they post, even things I post sometimes when I reread it, I say to myself, heh this is not going to go over, I wonder what response I will get, anyway I hope you have a good day, sorry for the vent, just use your power ( knowledge ) to help me, heh I'm an old man with a big heart, later,Jim

Cry me a river...my mod status on here has nothing to do with how fast I answer your questions, or even if I answer it at all.
I gave you a solution to your problem...be glad of that....if you don't like the teasing, don't jump on here and pump your chest with how long you have been "working" on cars.
Don't preach to me on how to treat people...my customers are very loyal and I am very appreciative that they come and ask for me to look at and fix their vehicles.
They come to me because I treat them extremely well and FIX their cars RIGHT..THE FIRST TIME!

Now the big question is........did my trick work for you?

91gsx
09-18-2006, 07:59 AM
And yes GMMerlin, your trick did work, and I thank you, again sorry for the venting, :redface: This computer, and the internet are kind of new to me, and I'm sure you get your share of jerks like me, and Maxwedge, you are right, I need to lighten up abit and just enjoy my older years, lol, I kind of take things to serious, just give me my 62 Chevy to work on and I'm fine, haha, heh thanks everyone for your help,,,,,,,,,,Jim

BNaylor
09-18-2006, 12:01 PM
Why don't you place a thick rubber band on the crank reluctor wheel and turn it thru the crank sensor.
Use the band as your feeler guage to adjust the sensor then rotate the crank around and remove the rubber band.

Rubber band? Thats a good one K. :thumbsup:

BTW - About time you got back to work. :uhoh:

And Shep (Maxwedge) lets knock off this old folk talk. :lol:

Add your comment to this topic!