Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

vin number

scoopy03
09-11-2006, 06:16 PM
when you are looking at the alero's vin number how can you tell what year it is just by looking at the vin number and nothing else? i am just wondering how you could tell the difference forsay if you were looking at it in a junkyard and trying to figure out what year it was without anybody telling you.

maxwedge
09-11-2006, 06:19 PM
What year car is this, BTW normal posting rules require reasonable spelling, please.

oldmike
09-13-2006, 03:30 AM
The 10th digit or letter counting from the left. 1,2,3 etc. is 2001, 2002, etc. Before 2001, it was a letter. 1999 was an X, 2000 was a Y. I agree with maxwedge, use good grammar in your post.

when you are looking at the alero's vin number how can you tell what year it is just by looking at the vin number and nothing else? i am just wondering how you could tell the difference forsay if you were looking at it in a junkyard and trying to figure out what year it was without anybody telling you.

JTrujillo86
09-13-2006, 10:08 AM
Ouch guys...maybe English isn't his first language. Give him a break.

You can also tell what year it is from the sticker on the inside of the door/door frame on the driver's side. It has production information as well on that sticker. Another way you can tell is by opening the hood. There is a sticker on the top of the strut tower regarding emission information. It will say something like "This vehicle meets all emission standards in place for the year 2002" or something like that. Whatever year it states is the year of the vehicle.

Hope this helps.

- Jeremy

Add your comment to this topic!