Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Ford Explorer...no emissions reading

psufootball
09-11-2006, 08:34 AM
failed inspection twice for no reading. Has V8 and runs well for 122k miles. Any do it yourself (read inexpensive) suggestions?

shorod
09-11-2006, 12:27 PM
That is odd. Do you know the history of vehicle? Was it originally sold in the United States, or is it maybe using a protocol other than OBD-II? I would expect it to have a different, non-compatible connector if that were the case, but I don't know.

You may also want to check with your local auto parts stores to see if they can read the I/M Readiness state. If so, see if their tool can read the codes. This is usually a free service. If their scan tool can, then get model information of their tool.

Did the emissions testing place get a P1000 code or "Unable to connect" or what?

-Rod

psufootball
09-11-2006, 12:36 PM
That is odd. Do you know the history of vehicle? Was it originally sold in the United States, or is it maybe using a protocol other than OBD-II? I would expect it to have a different, non-compatible connector if that were the case, but I don't know.

You may also want to check with your local auto parts stores to see if they can read the I/M Readiness state. If so, see if their tool can read the codes. This is usually a free service. If their scan tool can, then get model information of their tool.

Did the emissions testing place get a P1000 code or "Unable to connect" or what?

-Rod

I bought the vehicle new in '98 with less than 100 miles on it. The catalytic converter was replaced about 3 years ago so I was hoping for a simple solution, i.e. PVC valve etc. I'm not a mechanic but can do small jobs. I don't know what equipment was used except that it was a NJ DMV inspection station.

shorod
09-11-2006, 12:50 PM
Okay, I would suggest finding another place that has a scan tool capable of reading the I/M Readiness fields and see what luck they have. If their tool is not able to connect, then get the actual message displayed on the tool and report back.

-Rod

Ford hater
09-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Has anyone noticed but is it just me or is ford having more and more problems? dont get me wrong some fords are all right like the mustang and the gt 40 but the rest are kind of ummmm.....:uhoh: well suck.

virgamanda
09-11-2006, 05:42 PM
I am an Inspector for NC and it is very common for the fuse to be blown, usually its shared by the one that operates the cig lighter or aux power. Check that first.

Add your comment to this topic!