Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

928 vs 944

Max_AZ
09-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Previously, I had wanted a mid engine sports car, such as porsche 914 or toyota mr2. However, I've change my mind and am considering any lay-out sports cars. I like porsches, so I'm curious about both the 944 and 928. I basically want a quick, good looking sports car, that is relatively affordable. Pros and cons of these two? I've noticed that the 928 most often comes in automatic. Would it be worth getting an automatic 928, or is that a waste? Also, if anyone has a suggestion for another good canditate, please give input.

Moppie
09-10-2006, 08:09 PM
Iv worked on a couple of 928s, they are very nice GT cars, very comfortable, but by todays standards not terriably quick, even if you get a later GTS model.

They are extremely well built, but also hidiously complex, its makes for a very expensive, difficult to work on combination.
Infact, there is so many things that go wrong on them, there is a huge aftermarket for spare parts, so huge that they are worth considerably more in pieces than they are as a complete car.

Stay away unless your completely smitten by one, for what ever strange reason. Then be prepared to spend lots of money keeping it running, and make sure you have a second, more reliable car for when its not.
Unless its an extremely tidy, VERY low milage, concours condition car, expect to pay in runnings costs every year, the purchase cost of the car.

The 944 is something quite different.
Audi/VW engine is very reliable, strong and easy to fix, and the chassis is far less complicated.
Still not a car to try and restore or modify on a tight budget though.

Max_AZ
09-10-2006, 11:18 PM
Well that discourages me a bit. In that case I'll start another thread. Doesn't sound like I could afford

drunken monkey
09-10-2006, 11:31 PM
how about you just start one thread listing everything that has caught your eye?
how about groups/types of cars? use of the car etc etc.
you don't need a brand new thread for each question you might have, especially seeing as essentially, you only have one question: "what car to buy?"

Jimster
09-11-2006, 01:58 AM
The 944 has gotten to the point where it's a fully feasable option, there's parts aplenty if you get to know fellow 944 owners (Usually through an owners club), or just on Ebay and as Moppie said, they're not hard to fix.

I'd reccomend it.

Dyno247365
09-11-2006, 02:34 AM
Alright well technically it's not mid-engine but rear-en, ah screw it, still handles as good. Get the fastest Porsche...an 80's 911? If you're wondering about the comparison between these two, the 928 and 944, look for a special episode of TopGear where everyone has 1500 funny shaped L monies (pounds) to buy a used porsche.

Samurai75007
09-20-2006, 10:01 AM
I picked up a 85.5 944 a few weeks ago and love it. Though if your looking for something of a striate line racer dont get the NA, go for the turbo. Unlike most cars the 944 was a race car first and then a street car. High speed's (safe, we don’t want to cause any wrecks out there.) and turns are where the fun's at in the 944's.

Add your comment to this topic!