Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

A little interior paint

hallboy
09-09-2006, 08:34 PM
Well as we all are aware the dash assembly in most pontiacs, fords etc. are very easy to scratch. They have a rubbery coating on them that you bearly have to touch to scratch.
I painted my 2000 mustang dash with no issues but the coating wash not as thick. I little sanding, feather the edges and your ready to go. I had it painted for over a year with out a scratch on the new paint.
I am trying to do the same with the interior of my 96 GP. It is all Black and gray. I want to redo the badly worn dash with a Gun metal color so it with revive the look. It should look pretty sharp when completed.

Does anyone have any idea how to get the coating off. Has anyone used any kind of paint remover or solvent to peal it off? I was thinking it would be way easier and smoother than trying to sand the whole thing.

Any ideas would be great.
Thanks.

hallboy
09-10-2006, 10:31 AM
Beuler...Beuler... Anyone...Anyone?

Any ideas out there?

phaelax
09-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Some paint thinner should cause it to peel/flake off, but you gotta be careful with plastic. I've seen some eat right through plastic before. Best bet is to go to a hardware store and ask them what's best removing the type of paint you used on the plastic dash. Chances are, it'll leave faded splotches on the plastic, but if you're repainting and not concerned with how it originally looked, no problem.

hallboy
09-10-2006, 07:36 PM
I was leaning toward thinner but it's not a pinted dash. It is the factory rubber coating that I am removeing. I just decided to sand the hell out of it and wet sand the final run before paint. The first part is done and it look really nice. I am going with a gun metal color so it looks really clean. I am planning to sell this car so I am fixing all the little issues and trying to bring the inside back to life.
Thanks for the input.
Peace,
Hallboy

hallboy
09-12-2006, 04:50 PM
left the thinner thought at the back door. I went withthe 3 stage sand paper and some elbow grease idea. It worked great. It took a little time but the finshed result is very smooth and only 2 clean coats with a clear and it is sharp. it really updates the look of the interior to. I used a plastic adheasion helper that made a big difference on how smooth it went down and the test peace is really strong and hard to scratch.

Good luck to anyone try this. It is well worth the effort. I defiantly suggest going with a factory style color. Either a smokey silver or gun metal or something like that. Most of the color dashes end up looking kinda cheap.

Peace,
Hallboy
If you want any pictures of the finshed look let me know. ianhall@bellsouth.net

phaelax
09-12-2006, 07:13 PM
Any chance for a picture of the final project?

xeroinfinity
09-12-2006, 07:31 PM
dont want it to shiny,
the glare from the sunlight could be dangerous. :eek:

Oh ya a pic would be :cool:

hallboy
09-16-2006, 07:07 AM
I will see what I can do. I think I am still using photo bucket for pictures. It will be finsihed much like the exterior of a car. I am using high gloss with a clear. I am only painting the insert of the dash and the stereo surround. Glare should not be an issue. I am looking for a good satin finish but i can't find the same brand and you have to worry about the paints not agreeing with each other and causing bubbles.
I should have it all back together in a few days. I am working till next Thursday.

I really need an A/C knob if anyone has one sitting around. I am on my way to the salvage yard next weekend so I will try one there.
I am looking at the mustang billet A/C knobs. I had them in my 2000 stang but I would have to make them fit in the GP.

xeroinfinity
09-16-2006, 11:50 AM
I painted my interior parts a while back in my GA's.

The only problem I hav is the defrost piece puts a glare on the windshield during the day. You can still see through it but its anouying .

hallboy
09-16-2006, 08:08 PM
Yeah, I understand that concern. I am only painting the face peices. I try to keep it almost stock looking. Kinda like you sit in the car and know something is different but your not sure what.
Anyway. I should finsh in the morning and I will try to get the pics up ASAP.
Peace,
Hallboy

Add your comment to this topic!