ZX2 won't start but cranks

Alphasingularity
09-09-2006, 11:52 AM
Hi, new here and looking for help.

My zx2, when it was running the last day, showed the battery light when the rpm went up past 3000 or so, and then shut off. But now it will only crank. There is gas getting to the engine but no spark. I pulled one of the wires off the cap and looked for a spark while cranking and nothing. About a year ago I changed the Alternator in it, and that's the only major repair in the engine compartment that has been done in the 220000km this engine has on it.
Is it time to trash this car or is there an easy fix? I'm used to working on VW all this electronics stuff is really annoying without a computer to hookup to.

Any help would be great,

thanks.

MaleficusZX2
09-10-2006, 01:04 AM
It's probably just your ignition coil, possible your plug wires. If you haven't replaced the spark plugs since you got the car, the definitely need changing. After that, spray a little bit of water on your ignition wires and (at night, in a garage with no/few lights, etc, it needs to be dark) crank it, if you don't see any arcing from the wires themselves, then I'd say your ignition coil needs replacing, it's not a terribly expensive part, real easy to install, too.

Alphasingularity
09-14-2006, 06:49 PM
Thanks, that's what I was thinking too. I'll get to it this weekend. I'll post results.

rhandwor
09-15-2006, 03:20 PM
You didn't give the year. If you have a distributor use a 12volt test light and put it on the neg. coil terminal if it doesn't blink the pickup in the distributor is bad. This is when turning the motor over trying to start.It takes a puller to change if you don't have one buy a rebuilt distributor. Without a puller pounding on it with a hammer will damage it. Also wire brush the shaft if you have a puller.
If you don't have a distributor the crankshaft position sensor fires the coil.
You should have two relays one for the fuel pump and one for the computer system normally you can feel them click.
Advanced auto will test modules free.
These quicks tests will nomally get you going. I think 90% of the coils scrapped are good. I have found very few bad coils.

Alphasingularity
09-15-2006, 03:53 PM
It's a 1998 ZX2. It's got the crankshaft sensor.

rhandwor
09-15-2006, 07:07 PM
The crankshaft position sensor is like a switch that opens and closes. It must be magnetically operated as their are teeth on the camshaft. With an ohm meter on the two contacts with it unplugged it should go from zero to one as you are trying to start. I have a friend whos father-in-law owns a taxi shop and they stock them and automatically change them for a no start. They are not the best mechanics. Probably $30 to $40 at pep boys.
On my 5.4V-8 it was held in by one bolt. Cheaper than a coil. If you have 12V on the positive and 11Plus volt on the negative it is probably a good coil with the negative wire disconnected.
Also check the craankshift position sensor.

Add your comment to this topic!