Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 GT Transmission slipping/grinding

stan_5150
09-08-2006, 11:28 PM
Hi all. Today on my way home from work I was coming up to a 4-way-stop (slight incline) and as the traffic was a bit backed up I naturally had to slow down and stop. When it was time to get to the intersection I noticed that it was taking a lot of RPM to get the car moving. (yikes)

Once I finally made my turn the transmission slammed very hard into gear and being close to home I nursed it back into my driveway. Once in the driveway I noticed that in park and neutral it gave a slight grinding noise while when the car was in the drive gears it was noticibly more quiet. I dropped it by the local Goodyear to see if they can take a quick look at it for me but I'm planning on a worst case scenario situation of a new transmission.

All that being said, what would see as a fair price for a repair/rebuild? Goodyear said that if they couldn't figure it out that they'd refer me to a couple of local tranny shops. But since I've never had a tranny problem before I'm kind of in the dark for what to expect for a fair price. IF anyone could give me some guidance I sure would appreciate it.

My car is a 2000 GT with approx. 83K on it. Thanks.

stan_5150
09-09-2006, 09:11 AM
update 9/9:
Goodyear just called back and said that they can't do anything about it. I asked them what they thought it would cost and they quoted me $4300. That seems high to me. Anyone?

BNaylor
09-09-2006, 09:19 AM
Before deciding it needs a rebuild consider taking it to a local transmission shop and have it scanned with a trans capable scanner to see what DTCs may be stored. When was the last time the tranny was serviced? ATF and Screen filter?

The $4300 is way too high. A typical cost for a rebuild on a 4T65E averages around $2K. Plus you should be able to get a remanufactured for just under $1K with exchange.

stan_5150
09-09-2006, 09:29 AM
Before deciding it needs a rebuild consider taking it to a local transmission shop and have it scanned with a trans capable scanner to see what DTCs may be stored. When was the last time the tranny was serviced? ATF and Screen filter?

The $4300 is way too high. A typical cost for a rebuild on a 4T65E averages around $2K. Plus you should be able to get a remanufactured for just under $1K with exchange.

I'm embarassed to say that I haven't had any tranny service done to it since I bought it 3 years ago so this may partially self inflicted. I'm bringing the car home and then I'll call a couple of places on Monday and see what they can tell me. Thanks.

troy1
09-09-2006, 09:37 AM
how loud is the grinding sound? Sounds to me like the bearing in the input drum has failed. I agree $4300 is WAY to high, thats just plain rediculous. 2,000-2,500 seems the be the going rate. Always get a second opinion, word of mouth is the best advertising so ask around.

BNaylor
09-09-2006, 09:43 AM
how loud is the grinding sound? Sounds to me like the bearing in the input drum has failed. I agree $4300 is WAY to high, thats just plain rediculous. 2,000-2,500 seems the be the going rate. Always get a second opinion, word of mouth is the best advertising so ask around.

Its about time you weighed-in. :uhoh:

stan_5150
09-09-2006, 10:16 AM
I figured that $4300 was too high. I'm curently in the "friend of a friend" stage of finding someone local who can do it.

stan_5150
09-09-2006, 10:19 AM

Is it possible to change the bearing or does that entire tranny have to go? Like I said, I'm a moron on tranny's so please be gentle!

richtazz
09-09-2006, 10:51 AM

Troy is our resident trans expert, so you'd be smart to follow his advice.

troy1
09-10-2006, 03:41 PM
well if the bearing its self is the only problem and you find a shop willing to do it can be done. Me personally if there is a problem get it rebuilt or if you want to get rid of the car I'm sure you can find someone to hack it up but I don't recommend it. If they do rebuild it make sure they replace the PCS, PWM TCC solenoid, 4th shaft, Input drum bearings (2) and Input planet bearing. For the solenoids go only with GM. and the bearings make sure the get a name brand USA supplied bearings china bearings = heartbreak and disgust!

Troy

stan_5150
09-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Update 9/12:
I took it to Kennedy Transmission , they opened up the pan and there is definately metal in there. Because it's grinding when there is no load on the tranny they suspect its the tranny pump. Depending on what else they find wrong - could be $2500. Does that sound correct?

troy1
09-12-2006, 12:59 PM
never seen a 4T65E with a bad pump.... but it could happen. I would say bearing on the input drum.

Make them check the PCS make sure you dont have high line pressure that would make the pump whine

stan_5150
09-12-2006, 01:00 PM
I'll ask that question. Thanks Troy!

troy1
09-12-2006, 01:03 PM
make them check line pressure at the tap on top of the trans too

Add your comment to this topic!