Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Intermittent Loss of A/C

tick822
09-07-2006, 11:00 PM
Hello,
I have a 2000 GT with Dual climate control. Every now and then the A/C starts to put out warm air. I’ve noticed that every time this happens the ext temp is reported as something ridiculously low, such as 18 degrees on a 90 degree summer day. Has anyone experienced this before?

I saw an earlier post describing how to put the control module into diagnostic mode. I get a 00 when I scroll to -00.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

richtazz
09-08-2006, 06:03 AM
Check the wiring to the ambient air temperature sensor (located between the grill/front facia and the radiator/condenser) for corrosion or cuts. If it's ok, the sensor is probably going bad.

You can get the control to go into diagnostic mode by turning it off, then pushing both control knobs for 5 seconds. Follow bnaylors instructions in the thread labeled "A/C secret codes" for how to decipher the displayed codes.

Here's the link to the above thread for convenience

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=616481

mike561
09-08-2006, 12:46 PM
yeah i remember reading before that if the thermostat is below 30 degrees it wont let the ac kick on or something like that, the sensor is probably tricking it into thinking its 18 degrees outside and wont let the ac come on.

Add your comment to this topic!