Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'03 acting like its outta gas

firecracker37
09-07-2006, 08:27 PM
I have a 03 grand am that i just bought last week. Today when I was driving home from work, all of sudden it started acting like it was out of gas, and evenutally it died. After almost 15 minutes I got it running again, only for it to die every few blocks. This continued the whole way home.

The car has over a quarter tank of gas. Also it is an automatic, with the v6 engine.

Thanks for any help

firecracker37
09-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Okay, after some further investigation, it seems that the car is running slightly hotter then normal. I just added coolent to it a few days ago. The car seems to be having trouble once it starts to run hot. I am wondering if it is some sort of sensor or something that is going out.

Thanks for the help guys.

corning_d3
09-07-2006, 10:47 PM
Hot as in how hot?

firecracker37
09-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Well, it was doing it at between 210 and 220; however, now it is just doing it whenever it feels like it.

I took it in to the dealership today, and they agreed to look at the problem and stuff, but god knows when I'll get my car back, and I was supposed to leave town today...

corning_d3
09-08-2006, 12:14 PM
It could be a failing fuel pump or a heat-soaked sensor. Hopefully the dealership won't charge you an arm and a leg..

firecracker37
09-12-2006, 05:38 PM
Alright, I just got the car back from the dealership. They decided it was the fuel pump & filter. They billed the job at about 700, but are only carging me 350 (I bet it is a 350 job lol). So far I haven't had any more trouble; however, I have only put about 10 or so miles on it. Tonight after work I am going to go drive it around for a while and make sure that isn't going to happen again.

Slade901
09-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Alright, I just got the car back from the dealership. They decided it was the fuel pump & filter. They billed the job at about 700, but are only carging me 350 (I bet it is a 350 job lol). So far I haven't had any more trouble; however, I have only put about 10 or so miles on it. Tonight after work I am going to go drive it around for a while and make sure that isn't going to happen again.

I thought certified used car or used car from dealerships have some warranty in them?

Vipey1337
09-12-2006, 06:05 PM
I thought certified used car or used car from dealerships have some warranty in them?

Yeah isn't it like the lemon law or something?

xeroinfinity
09-12-2006, 06:39 PM
Yes if you buy a car from a dealer or certafied sales is covered for at least 30 days and maybe longer depending on laws where you live.

If you bought the car from the same place that fixed it I would ask for my $$ back and report them to the BBB :grinyes:
:angryfire :angryfire I hate F*****S who sell stuff then a few days later everything starts going wrong and troubles. :angryfire :angryfire :angryfire :angryfire

firecracker37
09-13-2006, 05:38 PM
Well, the car wasn't certified used, it was just used. I talked to my attorney general, and the BBB, and they both agreed that they aren't liable for anything because the state I bought it in doesn't have any sort of implied warrenty or anything.

The dealer agreed that they would cover half the expenses, but the job costs about twice as much as I think it should.

Anyways, I put 400 miles on it yesterday and it runned great the whole way.

The only thing I'm noticing is it seems like there was a little loss of power ever since getting it back from the shop.

I'm going to get the oil and filters changed this weekend, and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help everyone.

xeroinfinity
09-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Glad to here you got it fixed .
Guess you did get some sort of a brake, but they new thier were things wrong before it was sold, I'd bet !

Add your comment to this topic!