Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission problems

mellofello81
09-07-2006, 03:16 PM
I have an 01' Tundra with 65k. My tundra makes a loud clunk noise coming from the trans. It happens when I'm going maybe 50-60 mph when I let off the gas only, not when accelerating. When the problem first started it would shift in to fifth gear, well overdrive. Now when I'm driving at 60mph my rpms are at 2K, I know that's not right.
I turned the o/d button off and it would stay in 3rd, but when I turn it back on, it does shift into 4th, but that's it. Doesn't trans have 5th gear? I think my problems are in the overdrive gears. Has anyone had or is having these similar problems? Please let me know. Thanks.

Ando140
10-30-2006, 11:58 AM
I have an 01' Tundra with 65k. My tundra makes a loud clunk noise coming from the trans. It happens when I'm going maybe 50-60 mph when I let off the gas only, not when accelerating. When the problem first started it would shift in to fifth gear, well overdrive. Now when I'm driving at 60mph my rpms are at 2K, I know that's not right.
I turned the o/d button off and it would stay in 3rd, but when I turn it back on, it does shift into 4th, but that's it. Doesn't trans have 5th gear? I think my problems are in the overdrive gears. Has anyone had or is having these similar problems? Please let me know. Thanks.

Don't know about the clunk, but the 00-02 transmissions only have 3 gears + OD, the 03+ have 4 gears + OD. Also, 2000 rpms sounds about right for 60 mph in overdrive.

troy1
11-04-2006, 10:27 PM
They are having bearing failures in the OD section. Pull the pan and there will be lots of metal in there.

manlystanley
05-10-2007, 06:13 AM
They are having bearing failures in the OD section. Pull the pan and there will be lots of metal in there.

Good advice. Sometimes you can feel the transmission fluid off of its dip stick and feel metal shavings as well.

Best Regards,
Stan

Add your comment to this topic!