Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How noisy is your engine?

grfnkl
09-07-2006, 01:54 PM
Alright here's a new one. ON my 02 gt 3.4 v6.... I've notice recently that my engine is much more noisier then i've ever heard it. It has the common lift tap( when cold) but now when the car is hot you hear a rattling noise coming from the engine on moderate acceleration ( about 2000 rpm). Now this concerned me naturally, and i was told this is common by mechanics saying the pontiac engines are naturally noisy. It's really bad on a heavier accerlation like 4500+ 6000 Rpm. The higher the rpms the louder the noise gets. Somedays are worse then others. The noise reminds me of my mothers engine before it blew when the bearing were starting to spin. Now i know this may not be what's wrong if anything, but anyone experience this or have some ideas.

the car doesn't burn or use oil, no mixing of fluids that's i've found, i have some coolant loss but nothing traceable as of yet.

skibum1111
09-07-2006, 05:59 PM
After accelerating, with the rpm's still around 3-4k, what does it do when you take your foot off the gas? If the noise goes away, its more than likely a rod bearing getting ready to let go. If the noise stays, its going to be in the top end, most likely a bad lifter or rocker or valve. The 3.4's are also well known for cam noise as well, having something to do with alot of lift and a short duration, they sound like they are ready to spit out parts on a regular basis.

xeroinfinity
09-07-2006, 06:58 PM
Lifter tap when cold is very common with most 3.4s.

Even some vavle lash can happen if the motors never been apart for a gaket change, and has alot of miles.

Both my 3.4s are pretty quiet tho, I'm always sneaking up on people, well mostly kids riding thier bikes in the road , Couple times reving it up and they scooot :lol:
My GT has really bad lifter tap when cold, probly hav to replace or clean them again.

grfnkl
09-08-2006, 08:56 AM
I'll have to double check what noise the engine makes after letting off the gas. If I'm not mistaken it goes quieter. The noise is in the front of the engine. if this is related or not, but my father pointed out that when i turn off the car the engine makes a gargulling noise in the same area as the rattling. I don't know if this is related or not.

My car just had the manifold gasket replaced about 7 months ago, and the car has about 88,000 miles on it and now has become my work car too :disappoin

XI, unfortunetly I can't seem to sneak up on people, either between the engine noise, my exhaust with a hole somewhere, or me hitting a pothole, they normally realize i'm there. Instead i act like i'm gonna run them over if they don't get out of my way... :lol:

grfnkl
09-08-2006, 11:45 AM
I just drove the car around listening to the engine, ( even though i was supposed to be working ) The noise stops when letting off the gas, then comes back when i hit the gas and sounds intermitten when the car goes into Overdrive at the lower rpms 1500. If there is any other info needed, let me know.

skibum1111
09-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Sounds like a rod bearing getting ready to spit itself out.

xeroinfinity
09-08-2006, 09:15 PM
Have you isolated where its coming from?
Try using a tube or hose to listen around the motor to see where its coming from.
Could be a stuck lifter too.

Now that I think about it, is it coming from the passengerside? Those power steering pumps make alot of noise and it changes as you accelerate and let off .

Good Hunting!

Add your comment to this topic!