Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Service Engine Soon Light

Bravada 97
09-07-2006, 01:42 PM
Hi, I just recently drove my 97 Bravada from Ohio to Colorado. It was a 1500 mile trip. It ran fine the entire time and the temp was in the normal range. The next day I noticed that the "service engine soon" light was on. I checked the coolent and it was very low. So I went to autozone and had them check the codes just to be sure. The reading they got when they checked it out was that the engine coolent temp was high.

I filled up the coolent back to the proper level but the service engine soon light still stays on. Is that normal? I thought it would turn off once the coolent was replaced back to it's normal level.

Thanks for any help as it is greatly appreciated.

ZL1power69
09-07-2006, 02:50 PM
if the problem is corrected the light should go out on its own but the code will still be in the computer.

muddog321
09-07-2006, 04:41 PM
So, why was it low. Now that its refilled to the Hot line when cold is the proper 4.3 engine way - does it drop at all when looked at each morning before driving. If so the intake may be leaking, or a hose or water pump so look around. Is the gage in the 190-200 range normally. Has the coolant been changed and the thermostat. Dex cool systems need a change every 3 years and always watch the reservior level. Hope all goes well.

Bravada 97
09-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Since filling the resevoir yesterday it has not dropped. The level is still at the same spot as when first filled yesterday.

On a positive note when I started the car this afternoon the light was gone.

BlazerLT
09-07-2006, 11:17 PM
with the engine cold in the morning open the rad cap and fill the rad up to the top with fluid and then go for a drive to Autozone and get a Stant rad cap and replace the AC Delco stock garbadge you have on your rad.

Stock caps are shit and cause you to lose coolant.

Pull the negative battery cable for 30 minutes and it will clear the code.

bigry2004
09-08-2006, 12:04 AM
Hi, I just recently drove my 97 Bravada from Ohio to Colorado. It was a 1500 mile trip. It ran fine the entire time and the temp was in the normal range. The next day I noticed that the "service engine soon" light was on. I checked the coolent and it was very low. So I went to autozone and had them check the codes just to be sure. The reading they got when they checked it out was that the engine coolent temp was high.

I filled up the coolent back to the proper level but the service engine soon light still stays on. Is that normal? I thought it would turn off once the coolent was replaced back to it's normal level.

Thanks for any help as it is greatly appreciated.

that happened to me on a 300 mile trip the other day. turns out i had a puncture in my radiator and needed a new one put in.. couple hundred bucks...

Bravada 97
09-14-2006, 12:07 PM
with the engine cold in the morning open the rad cap and fill the rad up to the top with fluid and then go for a drive to Autozone and get a Stant rad cap and replace the AC Delco stock garbadge you have on your rad.

Stock caps are shit and cause you to lose coolant.

Pull the negative battery cable for 30 minutes and it will clear the code.

I have the Stant rad cap. I put it on last fall.

BlazerLT
09-14-2006, 05:33 PM
ok, pull the negative post off of the battery for 30 minutes and you should be set.

Add your comment to this topic!