Trans Slipping

nortelpilot
09-07-2006, 01:10 PM
Just took my 95 TC into the trans shop to have it flushed,it was shuddering in OD a little.
The owner of the shop recommended not to change it because he said it would make it worse.I have heard this before but was wondering if there was any truth to it.Any suggestions on what I can do besides having it rebuilt.It's not that bad yet but I am sure will get worse.
Thanks

Towncar
09-08-2006, 04:00 AM
The owner of the shop recommended not to change it because he said it would make it worse. I have heard this before but was wondering if there was any truth to it.

Here's the dirt on that story:
FoMoCo now admits that this transmission needs to be flushed every 30k miles.

IF you havn't had regular flushes since it was born, a flush can cause complete failure. Something about built-up varnishes in the fluid, bands become dependant on the varnishes -- something like that. Anyway, it has happened to one or two folks on these boards, but they were extreme cases where the trannie's were up to 120, 150k miles without a fluid change.

Re Shudder; There's been more success stories than those of the flip side. If you're up to 90/100k miles you might try weaning the trannie toward a full fluid change by doing one quart a month, or every 2 months until the dipstick looks cleaner and smells better. If you have service records, or know that this trannie was properly maintained, then by all means continue the maintenance ritual by having it flushed.

One thing you must do immediately, buy two bottles of Lubegard Red. Their 10oz bottles and you'll use them both. Our transmission holds 13.9 quarts of fluid and Lubegard recommends 1oz per Qt. Most of us just put in the extra 6oz rather than the low side ratio of just one bottle.

Either suction gun some fluid from the trans dipstick tube to make room for the Lubegard, or drain some fluid from the bottom side. You dont want to overfill the transmission, ever.

After adding the Lubegard, you'll notice almost immediate improvement in shifting, and the shudder will slowly (within one fuel tank) go away.

Don't -- let me say that again, Don't - settle for any other transmission additive, they wont work.

You'll have some trouble locating the Lubegard, but be thorough and you eventually find some. If all else fails, you can pay the premium prices at Lubegard.com Only get the Lubegard Red (http://lubegard.com/automotive/trans_atf.html) for your trans.

nortelpilot
09-08-2006, 12:12 PM
Thanks Steve,
So how much should I drain out if the 2 bottles of Lube are 20 oz w/o overfilling.

Towncar
09-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Thanks Steve,
So how much should I drain out if the 2 bottles of Lube are 20 oz w/o overfilling.

Well, there's 32oz to a Qt here in USA so, no more than a Qt. You can top-it-off with the ATF of your liking...

MT-2500
09-08-2006, 12:55 PM
Just took my 95 TC into the trans shop to have it flushed,it was shuddering in OD a little.
The owner of the shop recommended not to change it because he said it would make it worse.I have heard this before but was wondering if there was any truth to it.Any suggestions on what I can do besides having it rebuilt.It's not that bad yet but I am sure will get worse.
Thanks

If you do not change/flush it it is going out for sure.
Problem is people wait to long or untill someting is broke before they think about a transmission service.
Also make sure you do not have a engine running problem.
If the engine running is not up to par the transmission will not work right.
Often a engine miss is confused with a transmission shudder.
As said the Lube gard is good stuff for transmission shudder.
But you need to be sure it actually is a transmission shudder.

MT

Add your comment to this topic!