Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

engine? tranny? i don't know where to start

my2nd95riv
09-06-2006, 06:27 PM
ok....so.....currently i have lots to do to my riv as i made a horrible decision and bought a car that i shouldn't have (didn't realize it at the time due to "quick fixes" the mom and poop did to get the car off their lot) ok....enough complaining....here is the issue...

the engine idles funny, jumping from 500rpm to almost 2000rpm and all inbetween. when i press the gas pedal the engine feels like its jumping around and the car doesn't have much power. (i did use some gas cleaners that have improved the problem somewhat) if i don't put too much gas it sounds fine and doesn't jump around but if i try to give it more is when i get the problem. also the tranny has hard shifts in 3rd, 4th and overdrive. someone suggested it may be the oxygen sensor. im thinking that and/or sparkplugs...wires...and maybe the coils. anyone have any advice or experienced something similar? i just replaced the tranny 11 months ago with a brand new tranny along with the flywheel. so ima be pissed if i have to do anything with that. any help would be appreciated!

thanks!

maxwedge
09-06-2006, 07:00 PM
Welcome to AF. Has it been scanned for pending or existing codes?

my2nd95riv
09-06-2006, 07:29 PM
no i haven't taken it in for that yet. im goin to advanced auto in the morning as a friend said they do a free computer checkup or something like that.

96riviera18
09-07-2006, 10:59 AM
could be TPS or vac problem, or both. have you checked all the vac lines for cracks? rather than buy gas addatives you should try gm top clean procedure with sea foam.

96riviera18
09-07-2006, 11:01 AM
oh forgot to mention, it could be a bad MAF (happened to me and i thought it was plugs/wires)

my2nd95riv
09-07-2006, 12:48 PM
i went to advance auto this mornin and they did a diagnostic check and i got the codes. but the guy couldn't explain them to me. here they r....
p0670-quad driver module . qdm 4 fault (current & history code)
p0300- misfire signal . misfire detected (history only)
p0561- cruise control vent solenoid malfunction (history only)
p0565- cc servo position signal sensor circuit problem (history only)
p0571- abs traction control pwm signal problem (history only)

the last 3 im not too worried about. the traction control lines comin from the unit itself r all rusted up. so i knew they had to be replaced. and my cruise control only works 1 time everytime i start my car. i can live without cruise and traction (i think)

i know the p300 code should have the # cylinder that is misfiring in the last digit. but its a 0. the guy said that maybe it means that they r all misfiring which would lead him to believe that it could be 1 of the 3 coil packs or all of them. u mentioned "MAF" - "TPS"......wut r those? lol i hate bein lost.

corning_d3
09-07-2006, 01:18 PM
P0300 means a random misfire, not on any particular cylinder. This kinda/sorta rules out plugs, wires and coils. Sounds kinda like a vacuum leak near the cruise module. A lot of times the vacuum hose will become soft and start leaking. If it's leaking bad, it could cause a lean misfire..

my2nd95riv
09-07-2006, 01:53 PM
cruise module?.....where is that located? the deeper this goes the more inclined i am to drive off a bridge or somethin. i have tried to find diagrams for free online, to no avail. they have to be somewhere. i guess im gonna have to bare down and bite it and go buy the books from buick. GRRRR!

my2nd95riv
09-25-2006, 06:20 PM
so they dealer wanted 1200.00 to replace the rear shocks, 1 coil pack and tps.......i didn't pay. but i am waiting on my insurance check to come in the mail ;)

96riviera18
09-25-2006, 06:27 PM
rear shocks and coil packs are easy to replace. i'm sure a tps is easy too but i've never done one so i cant say. the biggest cost will be parts but they are all DIY jobs. check www.rockauto.com (http://www.rockauto.com) and gmpartsdirect.com for some good prices and alway check ebay. good luck

Add your comment to this topic!